Sunday, July 4, 2010

July is swim month!

Okay, so there was a race last weekend- San Diego International Triathlon. I raced in the "elite" women's field and came in 6th (of 9). My overall time was just two minutes better than last year (when i had just taken 6 weeks off running)- so a blah day overall, but i guess some days are better than others. I can't say it was a "bad" race because i did my best on the day and that's bout all you can ask for. I did have a great time, though, competing with my local training partners and Nytro Women teammates. The most remarkable part of the day was that I came out of the water DFL (dead f-ing last) of the elite field. Still faster than last year, but clearly not-gonna-cut-it when swimming with the big kids.

So, I'm getting serious about improving my swim this summer. Starting with a swim lesson from the famous (in North County san diego...) Chris Huxley.
Hux had james and I come up to his "humble" abode in the hills of elfin forest for a lesson where he videotaped us and then we did some stroke critique.
Um yeah....Can i move in?


The major takeaways (which I need to write down now so i don't forget them and keep practicing are.....
1) Fix that big nasty scissor kick. My legs are bent at 90 degree angles at the knee in some parts of my kick (they should be straight) and they come apart in a wide V as I conduct an awkward drowning-like motion to keep my head above water when I breathe (legs should be streamlined behind me). I need to kick from the hip, not the knees.
2) Timing/rhythm. Turns out white girl can't dance OR swim. This is an area where i'm all jacked up. My "recovery" arm is entering the water WAY too late and I am breathing way too early. I need to focus on swimming out in front (front quadrant swimming) and making sure I always have one hand gliding forward or just starting the pull. I also need to wait to breathe until my arm is "in my armpit.

3) The pull. Like many, I need to start my pull MUCH earlier.

Hux's overall impression is just that i'm wildly inefficient and its quite amazing I can even swim as "fast" as I can wasting all this energy and with all these major flaws. I just told him I designed my swim stroke to burn extra calories. But really, its nice that i have all these things to fix because that means there's all kinds of room for improvement. Overall great session with Hux and very revealing. If anyone wants to get in touch with him, let me know- it's more than worth it.


Oh, and Nyla? She's still darn cute. But growing like a champ. I'm not so sure she's actually a "teacup". In fact, I read on the internet (so it's gotta be true) that eis no such thing as teacup chihuahuas and its just a scam. She's just the runt.

10 comments:

Christi said...

What a gorgeous swimming pool and view! Good luck with your swimming improvements! I am sure you will correct everything and rock the swim!

Your puppy is adorable!

Yasi said...

Holy amazing swimming area! That's so beautiful! You're swimming will improve in no time. One of the hardest things I do when teaching kids how to swim is to keep their legs straight when they kick and to kick from the hips. They just don't get it. Pup looks SO cute!

Jody said...

that pool is ridiculous. ironic because this morning i was on random websites designing my dream pool...stuff is expensive! secondly since i am farely new to north county it took me a bit to find a dog park. viewpoint park by the encinitas library is a dog park. its only certain days and hours but its a good spot. good luck with the pup!

SSB said...

Awesome pool. And i hear the "I can't believe you swim as fast as you can" all the time when people look at my stroke. I'll have to use your response some time!

Molly said...

The internet is definitely correct on that one - teacup is nothing but a marketing scam.

Sounds like good news on the swim as you will just get faster with more form improvement!

X-Country2 said...

That guy lives there?! Damn. My house sucks. :o)

Kim said...

um is that guy single?! :)

idropboys said...

awesome feed back on the swim! Scissor kick- really, is that possible? Swimming is sooo technique based- do the drills and make the changes- the pay off is huge!!

GoBigGreen said...

Whoa that pool is amazing. I wonder if it was in MN if it could be a skating rink in the winter. Dangerous:)
I have to say that drilling is hard but it will pay off alot. I am the opposite of you, everyone says "Your form is lovely, you are just a pansy" haha. So i have to work on attacking the water, oh and getting some lats:)

云依恩HFH謝鄭JTR安 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................