Friday, July 23, 2010

make like an egg

and CRACK!
ever wondered where your breaking point was? i feel like most endurance athletes are constrained in their training by time available to train, not their physical capacity. careers, kids and other obligations force many of us to train for quality, not quantity, as quantity is non-negotiable.

as a school psychologist in my first ever summer off (and how is it already half over?) i'm working on testing those physical limits rather than the time limits. now, if i had been putting in huge weeks during the year, my body might be more accustomed to the volume, but i am typically utterly max-ed out just around 20 hours of "available" time during the school year. and this includes waking up before 5am every day and scrimping on 6.5 hours of sleep.

now, with the luxury to train as i may and sleep until 6:30 every day, i told coach dirk to train me like a pro this summer. i know it is a little early for the big kona build and not ideal, but life's not ideal, eh? in september i'll be back at my desk and limited again, so you work with what you got.

last week, i was on an unknowing quest for my breaking point. turns out that when i ride over 300 miles, swim over 15k and run over 60 miles (+4 hrs of strength training) in one week i may crack. too bad for james (who unknowingly signed up for Kona training too :) ) that cracking happened at mile 85 of our 100 mile ride on sunday. he stopped and said, "just get back on my wheel". i screamed, "YOU DON'T GET IT..... I CAN'T!!!!" more evil-ly than you can imagine. this accomplished exactly what i wanted and james finally went ahead, leaving me to pedal at 14mph home as slow as i damn well pleased.

they say once you crack you can't go back, but not so true!. i got home from the 100miles by my own legs and promptly headed out the door for a 12-mile run to top off the weekend. caroline joined me for an hour of it. although no records were broken, the miles were covered and i came home happy (and tired!) and reassured once again that when my cycling legs fail me, my run legs might still be there.

pictures from the road last week...

In Santa Ysabel, ready to head back up mt. palomar- pic dedicated to Julie who introduced me to the starbucks double shot+energy which i put into my bike bottle. [side note- to julie- i have been reeeeeeaaally practicing my descending and "studying" by watching the tour- can't wait to break out my improved skills on our next ride!]
on top of mt. palomar for the second time in one day. i'm thinking this 75mile ride with 8,000+ ft of climbing had something to do with my crackfest the following day.
halfway point of the 100-mile ride where i cracked (encinitas to laguna beach)- shoving espresso and banana and anything else that will fit in my mouth
yesterday's 100 mile ride to temecula- colleen, katya, brandi, & james- wondering who stole our san diego sunshine!
now the best part of all this big training is how much better the "easy" days feel! today is a recovery day and i'm loving sitting here watching the tour de france, & drinking my coffee at 7:30am. and i can already taste the taper on tap next week. Steelhead 70.3 here we come!

12 comments:

bex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bex said...

oops... not sure how I deleted that...

It's good to know that even the strongest have their moments of weakness... though going for a 12 mile run after that "crack" does not even begin to qualify that moment as a "moment of weakness" - more like a moment of less-super-human caliber? Makes me feel more like a regular human being and less of a wuss.

Keep rocking it out there - you definitely inspire me :)

July 23, 2010 8:09 AM

Kat said...

That is a LOT of training! Remember, rest is an important part of training, too.

Also, after probably a year of reading your blog I just realized you're a psychologist (I'm getting my Ph.D. in clinical psychology). Pretty different fields, but it makes me have that much more respect for you finding the time to train! I'm primarily a runner and any 50 mile week is a big week for me. Awesome!

RR said...

very impressive as usual! And Chris can totally relate to the crazy girl yelling at him while training :)

Sarah said...

a) AMAZING!!!! Beth, you rock! Sometimes I'm totally jealous but mostly I'm just super excited for you and really happy for you. :)

b) Were you really THAT cracked if you could do a 12 mile run afterward? Hmmmm...

c) Way to kick it up a notch and train like a pro. Does that mean next week's agenda will be similar?

oh and d) Thanks for keeping a link to my blog up even though it's been 3 months since I've posted. But something is in the works... :)

allison said...

Sorry you hit your breaking point, but it's nice to know that you're sort of human :D

jameson said...

turst me everybody... she did CRACK. full on. it was awesome!

i tried to slow down and pull her home but she didn't want me too... so i cruised home solo...

a good bonk/crack IS GOOD for you.

a quote from my friend and endurance doctor sean:

"it's ok to bonk, it's actually good. your body will adapt. if you never bonk, you either have your nutrition dialed in perfectly, you aren't going long enough or more likely you are eating too much."

GoBigGreen said...

Haha your crackfest. I know that isnt what you meant, but it sounded darn funny.
You are amazing and just think how much work you have put in. Sleep is important, says the PT, keeps ya injury free and sorta sane:) Good work Beth!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

You are going to clobber Steelhead! Kudos to you for training so big!!!! Lot's of people can't hold their spouses wheels on a fraction of your miles. You got your good crack/bonk out of the way and now you will be even stronger.

莊雅和莊雅和莊雅和 said...

我在戀愛著?--------是的,因為我在等待著..................................................................

Shawn and Tracy said...

Ahhhh yes the yelling at the husband in the middle of training...been there ;-) Our rule is that anything ugly said during training doesn't count! Enjoy the rest of your pro summer training.
Tracy

Ray said...

So very cool you pulled that off. I can only imagine how good you feel coming off a week like that. Good luck!
Ray