Thursday, August 19, 2010

"ch" squared



chasing charisa.

it's really all i've been doing the last week or so. i am lucky to have found someone who is doing lots of bike miles and hard bike workouts just like me...hmmmm....maybe we have the same drill sergeant i mean coach.

another shot of charisa from behind (those are the only shots i can get!)


it's great for me, obviously, to chase her around playing (and often losing) the "just keep her in your sights" game. i told charisa that she would just have to play the "hold 'er off" game- in this game, she pretends i am someone behind her closing in and she needs to keep her lead and open the gap.

i find myself asking what it is exactly that i bring to the training table in these types of riding situations, because for me, they happen a lot. i am nearly always the caboose. i am super lucky to have such motivating and challenging training partners, but i want to make sure that THEY get something out of the deal too. i so i ask myself this question a lot:"why do they ride with me?"

well, these are my answers: during rest intervals or easy rides, i am someone fun to talk to. i am a pretty good navigator and know my way around much of san diego county. i'm usually not THAT far behind that it makes the ride unbearable. i often will adapt my ride plans (going super early, or drive to meet someone) to make it convenient for them. and i'm usually in a pretty good and positive mood. i'm also a good confidence booster- for those that spend their time chasing fast boys or riding alone- when they ride with me they see how much they kick ass!
.
this is not some "woe is me" thing. i've just been thinking and hoping i'm not a total liability. i've had a lot of thinking time lately when i'm OTB (off the back) and just waiting for the next rest stop :). by the way, charisa is going to kick butt at IM Wisconsin. she is STRONG. must be from all the "hold 'er off" workouts.

this is a cute shot...post 100+ mile ride - charisa and ian in their cute zoot kits stretching.

11 comments:

Jill Costantino said...

LOVE this post! I'll come train with you and "try" to be your "hold er off girl" but that would only last maybe 100 meters and then I would sadly become the "see later gator girl" you see I was once told by Ms. Wlad herself that cycling is a "blue collar" sport and that you've gotta put in your time. All of you speedy ladies (that is YOU) I am so wishing in my wildest dreams to hang on one of your wheels ONEDAY! My guess is it MAY be when we are like 70 and doing IM.
You go Ms. Beth - I have a feeling that someone is going to kick some 30 - 34 AG A$$ at Kona this year!

IAN said...

I believe there was a time or 2 that you guys had me OTB last weekend (stupid heartrate!). We all spend our time there. It is some of the best training you can get for my money at least. Fun times. Again soon.

Teresa said...

Everyone loves you that is why you are so much fun to ride with!! You bring so many qualities to the table and we all have to spend some time in the back so you can spend the time in front at the races!!!

Go Beth!

tn

陳嘉容 said...

很喜歡你的部落格,來給你加油,幫你推一下喔~期待你的下一個更新,謝謝................................................

Charisa said...

I can think of a million other reasons to ride with you :). And you aren't giving yourself credit - you are FAST!

Oh, and the stretching pic - I'm still laughing...

kerrie said...

i ask myself the same question every time as i pathetically try to hold on to somebody's wheel. i don't even bother ever asking to take a pull....there's no point. i just figure that i must be pretty entertaining......

SHERRY said...

Great post. This same question rolls through my mind a lot as well. I've concluded that they are either secretly training "after" our rides or that I'm just good company. :-) Keep up the hard work, Beth!

Libby said...

judging from your sense of humor on here I have a feeling you have lots to offer as a riding buddy AND I also get the feeling that you aren't giving yourself enough credit! I can't wait to see you rock it in kona! I need some company in florida for all this biking!!

王怡迪 said...

GOOD POST~~~~~~~~~~~~Support!!!!.................................[/url]...............

idropboys said...

Cause you are funny, good conversationalist, flexible, gave me free PowerBar Perform (oops did not mean to put that in there) ...bottom line- love your attitude and spirit! Ok the real reason....when you kick ass in races I can say I train with her and she even sits on my wheel :)

Tawnee said...

toenail in your drawer? in a sick way, i totally get that haha.

looking forward to the pic.