Tuesday, August 10, 2010

vacation part 2. virginia time!

after a couple days unwinding with my sister in chicago after steelhead 70.3, james packed up the bikes again and we flew to virginia to visit the Walsh's. we spent some quality time with the in-laws, the brother/sister-in laws and our two year old nephew.

he loves the iphone...

on the training front: as courtenay says, it was hazy, hot, and humid- the 3 H's- perfect Kona training! husband and i hit the roads daily and logged many miles, but no intervals..just riding. coming from california, we have "flat" rides, but even our flattest one-hour coastal ride has about 700 feet of rolling up/down ascent. in virginia, we rode 65 miles with 200 TOTAL feet of climbing. it was crazy busting out these rides in just over 3 hours when in cali a 65 miler is 4 hours. little ring need not apply.

virginia back country riding is no stoplights, few cars, LOTS of corn and LOTS of james wheel. even though we are on two bikes, its basically like we are riding a tandem as i'm glued to his back wheel.

this was the highest elevation point in our rides- Pongo Ferry Bridge.


turns out i'm better at following james' wheel than my own line as i ate it in the driveway at the end of a ride. this was great as i got to be scabby mcScabberson for the remainder of the trip and the cuts on my lips/chin dried up to look like i smeared chocolate all over my face. sweet.

of course, i was on the ground, crying and horrified as i thought i bashed all my teeth in and was snaggletoothed and freaking out and the first thing james asks is if he can take a picture.


as the scabs dried over the next few days, we kept moving. one day we decided to ride to north carolina. because.....why not?
this was my favorite ride because the turn-around gas station had a Dairy Queen- one kiddie cone please!!

we spent some great time in the saddle, and event better time just chillin' with the fam. threw some runs in there too....but honestly the running there sucks. no thanks. flat sidewalks on busy roads.... oh and swimming. TRI althlon, right? hmmm...what's swimming again? whoops.

friday was time to pack up again and drive up to philadelphia to see my folks. as we drove through the eastern shore of maryland, i insisted on a (long) detour for some blue crabs, oysters, and corn on the cob.

yum!

12 comments:

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

OMG. James sounds exactly like my husband. He would have so taken a pic of my bleeding as well! Don't those kiddy cones make everything better? :)

Happy Training!

MissFancyPants said...

Just have to be that Philly girl that shouts out "PHILLY" - have a great time, although we don't have "Cali-Hills" we do have Manyunk - I also see your hubby is a big beer fan - try out Varga Bar if you have a chance.

SHERRY said...

I'll second that PHILLY shout-out!

Glad you are having a great time! Scabs and all! :-)

GoBigGreen said...

Dairy Queen is the answer to all problems, crashes, happy times, sad times....And yes we have them about every mile up here. I am surprised i dont weigh 300 lbs! Fun trip, hope you are healed up!

Teresa said...

Everything about this post sounds fun and amazing (okay,minus the driveway incident girl)! I love those bike rides that cover so many miles so fast and DQ rocks!!

tn

吟美岑美岑美岑樂 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。............................................................

Adam said...

lol - scabby mcscabberson. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time.... :)

BTW - saw you in a REALLY old back issue of triathlete mag. I literally yelled to my wife "I know her!! Well, not know, know....but I read her blog!"

yes, I am a dork.

Amanda said...

I guess there are worse things than looking like you smeared chocolate all over your face. SOOO glad you didn't knock your teeth out though!

Libby said...

oh man! so glad you still have your teeth!! sounds like you are having a great vacation, and much needed after your success in steelhead! congrats again! hope you are enjoying nc and getting some hills back in. your virginia training sounds alot like florida!!! what's that little ring in the front for?!

瑰潼 said...

雖天地之大,萬物之多,而惟吾蜩翼之知。..................................................

Krista said...

Ouch! Glad your spill wasn't worse. I tripped and fell running once and while I was walking home I was trying to watch peoples expressions to determine how bad the damage was... No body screamed in horror so I figured it was not too bad (turns out my arm took the brunt of it).

Love DQ! Wish they had more of them in the North East!

Amy said...

Great story and pictures. I love the crab looks delicious. Anyway I guess the bleeding nose is a part of the journey.

zbsports