Monday, September 6, 2010

Make it Work!

When I'm going through a tough swim bike or run session, Tim Gunn from Project Runway often pops into my head and says, "Make it Work!" It's become a little bit of a mantra for me. I have plenty o workouts that are less than stellar. Maybe I can't quite get the heart rate up, maybe it is too high, maybe the master's set is fast 100s and I'm supposed to do a recovery/pulling workout, maybe I only have 90 minutes for the trainer ride and it should probably be 2 hrs with a proper warm-up/cool down. Those are the times I just have to make it work. Life's not perfect, nor can those training sessions be. So what if a big downhill comes at minute 18 of a 20 minute tempo effort? That just means you make the next effort 22 minutes, right? Don't sweat the small stuff.

I know people (or read on the internet about people which is kind of like knowing..) who feel out a workout and if its not going well or they're not on target, they "pull the plug". I think this is a good strategy and it shows you are listening to your body. I'm sure that sometimes my body is trying to tell me something and I just won't listen. I just turn up my ipod :). I was thinking on a less than stellar run last week.....and realized I haven't aborted a workout that I started once in the past year. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. If it's not going as planned, I just "Make it Work". On Wednesday I had one of "those" days. I was supposed to run 10 miles after work at a heart rate that is not outrageous, but still hard for me. It just wasn't hapening for the most part. But I still ran, and at least grazed the target HR zone a little bit every couple miles or so. And I was okay with it. Can't be perfect all the time....instead I just enjoyed the trails and the views. And James caught me when I was taking this photo (he was on his cross bike on the same trails) and accused me of tweeting on my run. I was totally not tweeting on my run. I swear.


I was glad to finally make it to the weekend...the labor day weekend training didn't require too much "Make it Work" because i had ironsherpa james there to make sure i worked. he skipped my swims, but joined in for all the other fun.

our awesome saturday ride included some BIG climbs, and good heat and wind. we included a new favorite climb- Kitchen Creek road. Kitchen creek heads up the back side of mt. laguna and the middle third of the road is completely gated and closed to traffic- its pretty awesome. our plans for kitchen creek were almost derailed when james' derailleur cable popped out and us tools had no tools and we were in the middle of nowhere. luckily, we found a forest ranger station and they hooked us up with an allen key and some pliers.
we made it back in town just in time to celebrate the birthday of betty herself


sunday was more riding, this time cooler and flatter along the coast, followed by some solid running. we capped off the weekend with an 18+ mile run together at Lake Hodges.
good times. i think i earned my rest day today! hope you're having a good week :)


11 comments:

runninggunner said...

making it work is what it's all about.

Pretty solid weekend.

Christi said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend! And sometimes you do have to just "Make it work!"

Yasi said...

I feel the same as you, I NEVER abandon or skip a workout. I'm just too Type A/OCD. 'Make it work' is definitely going to stick with me!

PS. Expect a FB msg or e-mail soon! Race so soon! Yipe.

Shan said...

"Making it work" is a GREAT mantra, I think. We can't expect to nail every workout, and I agree that if the heart rate or effort isn't perfect every time, it's not necessarily an excuse to bag it.

You are rocking this training and are going to SHINE in Kona!! I am going to ask you for some motivational tips when I start my new job and have to wake up to do workouts at 5am :-).

Hope all is well in Sunny SD!! HUGS!

Teresa said...

Great post, I agree, your body remembers effort...so listening to it but also knowing it is okay to not be perfect is a key to success!! Nice job!

Jill Costantino said...

I always have a hard time getting my HR up on the bike especially at 5AM, but I think your body does know remember the efforts that you are putting out/mileage. I think it's pretty hard to nail EVERY workout. I like your "make it work" philosophy.

GoBigGreen said...

Great post Beth and cute dress:)

Mary IronMatron said...

I get "make it work". If I canned every workout that I wasn't executing exactly as it should be executed, I'd have to stop 90% of them. Most of the time we need to make it work. I only abandon a workout when...
hmmm. I basically don't abandon. If it's a really bad day I may have a DNS--, though. :)

Habeela said...

I've been reading your blog now for awhile and I have to say - "making it work" seems to be doing quite well for you!

My philosophy is also that it's better to throw something down than to quit because you aren't meeting the targets. Something is better than nothing.

RR said...

I miss project runway! I wish we got that down here in Mexico.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Kitchen Creek is the best!!!! Glad you enjoyed it.