Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Prom Night

Hello?!?! Anybody here? I'm still here on the mainland! I'm getting ready for one more day of work and then a flight to Kona, Hawaii tonight to join 2000 of my closest friends for Ironman. This is very good because if I had to sit here and wait one more day...well, I don't know.

I'm pretty excited to be going to Kona and it feels like I'm going to prom. It was pretty nice to be invited this time, as when I really had my prom (in 1997!) I had to do the inviting as I attended an all-girls school. Talk about a life of Sadie Hawkins dances.

It totally feels like prom night is this weekend except now I have a super husband who is getting me ready for the party (which would have been pretty awkward in high school). This week I made sure my "dress" and shoes (Zoot Ali'is for Ali'i drive) were ready to go. Took the shoes out for a practice run, kind of like trying on your prom heels and walking down the front stairs trying not to trip, imagining your date below, with flowers, looking up. I also got my hair did (blonde again! back to my un-roots!) and yesterday spent two hours at the slowest nail salon ever getting a simple manicure & pedicure.

I'm writing this from the trainer at o dark thirty. I'm not sure this is what coach Dirk meant when he told me not to "force it" for these final short tune up efforts on the bike...but I'll get off now and put in a little punch.
So, although I'm eagerly awaiting the after party (some think this is what prom is all about after all), I am most excited for that first dance.

See you in Kona- T minus 12 hours until I cross the pacific!


17 comments:

Christi said...

I wish you the best of luck at your "prom", I mean Kona! I can't wait to follow you and all the other racers.

Good luck and have a great time!

Melissa said...

Good luck I am sure you will do amazing!

runninggunner said...

Have a great race. It's going to be amazing.

allison said...

So stoked for you! Can't wait to read all about it.

Savannah said...

Good luck and have fun. I know you will represent team dirk well!

GoBigGreen said...

Go Beth Go! Have fun at prom and most importantly the post dance party:)

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Yeah! So cool. Have an amazing time.

Chris - TriTopics.com said...

Have a great race!

Ray said...

Good luck and rock that Colnago :)
Ray

Lucho said...

Awesome Beth! My wife was at 5 of my 6 Hawaii Ironmans... it makes it so much better to see our loved ones and share the experience! Which of course will be great for you.

Gloria said...

Best of luck to you. I am sure all your training will pay off And you will be amazing.

Jill Costantino said...

Woop woop - Best POST! Have SO much fun there Chica - ROCK the Course! Looking forward to following you - WOW a gazillion shapperons watching your everymove on PROM night? Only these ones are SUPPORTIVE and cheering on ALL your PROM dance moves! Go, Go, GOOOOOOOOOOO!

Jody said...

best of luck! you are going to kill it out there! enjoy the nice warm water!!

Mary said...

BETH!!!! so excited for you! Go have a blast! You are so ready for this. I'll be watching and cheering from my computer..

FatDad said...

get your boogie on, prom queen.

Yasi said...

I am SO beyond excited for you! I've been thinking about you all week long and I just can't wait until Saturday! You're going to do so well Beth, I just know it. Enjoy Hawaii!!

Melissa said...

Just checked and you did AMAZING! Great work - and looks like so much fun as well.