Saturday, November 20, 2010

you had me at "matching outfits"


I've been enjoying my semi-0ff season a lot. (we will get to the "semi" in a moment). Maybe enjoying a little too much as demonstrated by the scale's increase of 8 pounds in 3 weeks. I swear I wasn't eating pizza and cheeseburgers and chips all day long. I don't even think I ate those things at all. I was still eating vegetables & lean protein every night for dinner. I just wasn't working out as much. Okay and MAYBE I was eating muffins, brownies, cookies, and cake once in a....well, every day. hmmmm... mystery solved!

Well, time to watch it a bit as my off-season has taken a detour to Sin City. Let's back up a bit. A month before Kona, I was cooked and ready to be done. I got a little note from Rachel asking if I wanted to run the Las Vegas marathon with her and Katherine. I quickly said, "Not a chance in hell" and moved along.

Well, welcome to hell! Just kidding. So, a couple weeks after Kona, I was putting together a loose plan for 2011 and initially included a late January marathon. You may remember if you've read here for a long time (if so, god bless you, you patient soul), I ran my first/only stand alone marathon in Las Vegas-2008 in 3:03. It's no secret that my bucket list includes a sub-3 marathon. Thinking more and more, I realized that by late January, I want to be putting in base miles on the bike and upping my swimming a bit for Ironman Texas (May 2011). I also was a little motivated because I had run a 3:10 in Kona, after swimming and then riding for 7 hours. And looking at my bike made me want to puke, but running was fine, so why not run a little more?

So I texted Rachel and asked if they were still going to Vegas and shooting for sub-3. She said yes, and we should wear matching outfits. MATCHING OUTFITS?!?! SOLD! I even got to virtually shop w/ R and K as they sent me pics from lululemon in Oahu testing out outfits.




Whatever outfit we end up with (I think you can tell which shirt they picked :), we will be accessorizing with Zoot compression socks, sock-arm warmers from Target, and black visors (or beanies if it is REALLY cold). So basically, we will end up looking like homeless clowns in tube socks. But there will be 3 of us so it will look, uh, cool?

Soooooo...The training. Oh yeah. Well after 2 weeks rest, 2 weeks active recovery, I put in 2 solid weeks with lots of marathon pace work and now all that's left is to pray to the race-day-magic gods because boy am I going to need it. At first, workouts were going pretty well and my legs felt nice (that happens I think when you are not trashing them with bike intervals and 6 hour rides). Then I got sick, did my longest run (17 miles) and was practically dragging myself home. I didn't hit any of my paces and felt fat and slow. But I'm going to forget about that and move along. I was sick, right? sure.

Theoretically, I should be able to run under 3 hours in an open marathon. But, although some don't believe me, I run off the bike relatively similar to my open paces (ahem, coach Dirk who doubted me when I told him I would run sub 3:30 in Kona) . And for me, 7:15 pace (3:10 marathon) feels QUITE different than 6:45 pace (sub-3)....But sub-3 or bust! Luckily I have two hot barbies to block the wind for me (I'm midget Skipper)! Too bad they are so skinny. Maybe I will send them some cookies this week to up their wind-blocking potential.

20 comments:

Benson said...

If there's gonna be cookies sent somewhere, that's where I'll be.
Got milk?

GoBigGreen said...

That sales girl behind Katherine is priceless. Whatever you run, sub 3 or not, i know you will have a blast and have lotsa good stories to tell. You go round once, why not go run with fun people in Vegas! Awesome!

Christi said...

Good luck! The outfits look like they will be real cute!

GZ said...

FWIW - I still think you got an Oly Trials qualifier in you if you want to go that route.

All the best, and I love the off season weight gain.

X-Country2 said...

I knew you were the mystery pal! Go get 'em ladies!!

bex said...

sweet, we will be in vegas too... only doing the half mary... just a friendly reminder: VEGAS IS FREEZING IN DECEMBER!!

we are all wearing our own matching outfits too!! you'll kill it.

Teresa said...

You girls will look fantastic!!! and, of course, be speedy too!

tn

Yasi said...

That's so exciting Beth! I'm cheering for you all the way, you can totally get this. You ladies are going to look hot to boot in your matching fits. You can't go wrong with Lulu!

Melissa said...

I wish we had a LuLu store here! Good luck with the marathon - amazing to me you can just up and run a marathon!

Charisa said...

Whooo hooooo! You girls will have a blast!

Running and living said...

I hear you about off season weight gain. Nothing like marathon training to help with that. I have no doubt you'll get your sub 3, and sounds like you'll do that in style! Awesome!

MissFancyPants said...

feeling the same on the off-season gain...trying to get myself in gear as well. I love the idea of the lululemon matching outfits and my frineds and I are stealing the idea for Feb. Mardi Gras Marathon!! Good luck - I am sure you will get that sub 3 - you are the fastest person i know!

Shawn and Tracy said...

What a fun race to go and test yourself in! Naturally wearing matching Lulu stuff is going to make it even better. Good luck and I'll be sending you speedy vibes for sun 3:-)
Tracy

rr said...

We will strategically situate the fireman up front, then run in eschelon formation.

I am requesting double-doubles at the finish line, courtesy of Ken. I'll have him stock up on muffins too.

Beth said...

FUN!! You guys will by far be the best looking trio out there - in addition to being the fastest also! :)

Libby said...

good luck girl. you SO have that sub 3 in you for sure. I totally hear you on the same pace with or without the bike. most of my run pr's are in tri's! have fun and run fast! your legs know what to do :)

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Way to infuse fast with fun. We are cheering for you Skipper!

kerrie said...

that is going to be so much fun - in a sick kind of way - that i'm sad i'll be missing out! and if you don't run under 3 hours, you better have a pretty good excuse lined up already.

Jill Costantino said...

You girls are going to look great and be fast too!

GZ said...

2:59:00!

Well done. Can't wait to see the race report.