Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Life on the Other Coast





Christmas in Philadelphia was full of things we never do. It was like living opposite life for 6 days.

1) james and I slept past 8am EVERY day [don't think we slept past 8 all year at home]
2) We stayed up past midnight EVERY night [made it to midnight maybe once prior this year]
3) Watched 3 movies (Inception, Temple Grandin, Knight & Day) [I think we saw maybe 2 movies all year prior to this. I have movie narcolepsy and pass out about 20 minutes into every movie. The only one I passed out in in Philly was Inception]
4) Enjoyed a blizzard
5) No bikes were ridden
6) We ran in the cold, wind, & snow
7) Went shopping for real (not lycra) clothes
8) We took extra time to not rush, enjoy, and just hang. Like sitting in the coffee shop and drinking from the "real" mugs.


The best part of opposite coast life was sharing the time with my family and not worrying about work, training, if the laundry was done, and how many bags I needed to pack for the next day. Good, no... Great times were had by all: 2 "parents", 4 grown children, and 3 significant others are quite the party. no drama, all easy-going, flexible, and fun. This was most properly demonstrated on Christmas night when the 9 of us left the house after 10pm to go Karaoke for a few hours in Chinatown. Why not?

Oh, and Christmas is not about the presents, but there were a couple sporty fun ones I wanted to share...Really no reason to enumerate my gifts, but if any men with sporty wives are reading, they may get some future ideas. So this is basically a PSA.

mini computer from James! (this is sporty because it enables blogging, virtual stalking of my favorite athletes, etc)


lululemon cape! this covers my bum so I can wear it with leggings only underneath and not look all POW POW POW....honey's got a booty like WOW oh WOW.

Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS & Heart Rate watch (I have the 310XT & just wasn't my thing. this is simple and will work better for me for racing. And its much cuter...also hoping to get a Garmin 500 for my bike and at some point, a powermeter, but I digress

Custom Betty Designs ISM saddle that matches all my gear (LOVE!!!) and goes perfectly on my Black/White Colnago Flight TT



And, a bag and bottle emblazoned with my #2 Ironman motto. (#1 is Make it Work). I know I borrowed this motto from someone but can't remember who...

13 comments:

Beth said...

OH OH! I got the same watch! I am so happy because I can actually figure out how to use it and not be amazingly confused by so many buttons! :) Oh and I think the saying from your bag and bottle is from Meredith Kessler.

D said...

Ooooh... I got the same watch too! Except I bought it for myself :(

Yasi said...

Glad you had such a nice holiday on the east! I love the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' quote. I got a quote book for my teacher compartiot for his birthday and we [both] love it!

Teresa said...

I love all yor fun gifts, but most importantly lover that you had an amazing holiday doing things outside of the ordinary with amazing peeps!

Habeela said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only movie narcoleptic!!!

Shawn and Tracy said...

Those are some awesome gifts...I think I will just copy your post as an x-mas list for next year!!!
Tracy

Ian Simon said...

The 'Keep Calm ...' motto is a British propaganda poster from WW11 - see http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/kc_home.php for a bit more of a history

Christi said...

Great Christmas and great sporty gifts!

Julie said...

I liked #8. It really is all about the simple things, enjoying it all, spending TIME with the people in your life.

Keep Calm and Carry On...I'm etching that one in my brain :-)

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. It is delightful!

beth said...

b

idropboys said...

Make it work....I think the credit goes to Jen N??

Melissa said...

Wow great gifts! I wish we had a Lululemon store in Iowa! I really really like that Garmin - way cuter than my bulky orange one.