Saturday, February 26, 2011

Take THAT, weatherman!!!

It seemed as though I was on a "How to Smash yourself in 7 days"  mission. I had a week off of work, but mostly I blame it on the weatherman. Every day except one, the forecast was for rain. So every chance I got, I rode my bicycle outside to take advantage "before the storms rolled in". Luckily the storm finally came today, because I rode my bicycle 449.5 miles since I left work last Friday. Take ten percent of that and that's how much I ran...Sorry, this is not supposed to be a math blog. I also swam a bunch and threw in yoga and functional strength at Rehab United

On Friday afternoon I told myself I was finished with bike smash camp.But, even as I write this after a tough 4200yd masters swim and core power yoga (Saturday), the skies are clearing and I'm contemplating a few easy miles on the bike..after all if I squeeze in 50.5 miles by tomorrow, that's an even 500 since I left work last Friday.....

Here are some pics from the me vs. the weatherman week...
It all started last Saturday...the first day we "won". Team Walsh: 1, Weatherman: 0

Wore these on and off the bike all week...Did about 10 loads of laundry to ensure I had freshies each day

Thursdays ride to Dana Point with Katya, Tatiana, James & Mauricio. Does anyone else around here have a job?  
Beth: 4, Weatherman: 0


The tree that knocked me down (literally) on "Broken Hill" at Torrey Pines. The name of the trail is fitting for the state I was in after my biggest volume week ever! 

Me, on the ground, after bashing my head on the tree. Took 3 or 4 minutes to collect myself...

By this time, the storm of the decade was supposed to arrive...

But I was busy knocking out hill repeats in the sunshine....an 80 mile ride + 80 mile hill repeat brick  run to cap off the week=not so bad when this is the backdrop
Braving the elements :) !!!!


11 comments:

marian said...

wow. quite the week!

did you wear the zoot knickers over your bike shorts?

beth said...

marian...i wear the knickers under my bike shorts. my friend Kristin does too. works great for me, but maybe not for everyone!

GZ said...

500 miles! Wow. That is a lot!

I did not catch how you crashed into that tree though? That sounds like a klutz move that I would have pulled (and actually, I have more than once in the past).

Christi said...

Great job on smashing the bike! The weather here might actually cooperate for me today and I am very excited!

GoBigGreen said...

I Wish our weatherpeople were that far off. they are busy saying "Yup I know this latest 16 inchs was a drag and you are still not plowed out, but let me tell you about the next storm that is coming in a week." SHUT THE F$$% up!
Ha Ok i am laughing not crying. ( for once) but seriously i am not doing this again so look for me next Jan-Feb in Tucson or San Diego. I may have to quit my job:)

Michelle Bozarth said...

Beth

My husband and I may be moving (navy) to San Diego next Feb.....I love looking at your training pictures and dreaming of riding/running in weather like that! Can't wait!

Shan said...

Wow, what a week! After all that training, I probably would have run into a tree too out of sheer exhaustion. Keep livin' it up out there - your pics are inspiring for those of us out there that stare at the floor on our trainers/treadmill all winter...

It's almost a dream for me now that I once lived and trained there :). HUGS!

Jill Costantino said...

WOW - what an AMAZING week! Someone is going to CRUSH tons of dreams this year:)

Heidi Austin said...

awesome pics and great totals for the week! 500 miles~ ouch!my hoo ha hurts thinking about that

MissFancyPants said...

I can't even fathom the 500+ miles but way to go!

kerrie said...

you are frightening me! tex-a$$ is going to be ur bitch.