Saturday, March 12, 2011

In it Together

Training for an Ironman alone can be tough. Training for an Ironman with your significant other can be tougher! Somehow, though, James and I have really found our groove and we're able to make it a really awesome thing we are doing together. A couple of years ago, when we started riding together, it was a total nightmare. He was always going "too fast" and I was always frustrated riding with him. Running was more of the same. It's funny, because you'd think I could run with the boys- running a sub 3 marathon seems like I'd be right in the mix, but James is just to damn fast and when it comes to my easy runs, I am a self-admitted sandbagger. I like to slog along. I purposefully leave my garmin/Gps at home so there is no "proof" - i just go by time.
Well, anyway, back to Ironman training with my husband. Ironman Texas is just around the corner and we're logging some big miles. We have this training thing going where we train together but not together. It's not very complicated really. We set out to ride or run or swim together with the understanding that when he gets ahead, he's just supposed to keep going until it's time to regroup (like at a water stop or whatever). Honestly, if he tries to wait for me at every hill or descent and soft pedals and looks back- it drives me crazy! We USED to do that, but now, we just kind of know that he will wait when it's important. Which means that he gets to make his workout work for him and I can stick to mine without having to constantly feel like I am going "too hard".

I was just thinking about this a lot today as I spent 7 hours looking at (and drifting away from) James' butt. We started with a 5.5 ride with 8,000+ feet of climbing. Hilly rides were historically "tough" for us as I can hang pretty well on a wheel in the flats, but put a hill in front of me (up or down) and i'm OTB with a quickness. Well, James and I were on the same page and we both know the ride (Kit Carson to Wohlford to Mt. Palomar down East Grade back the 76 to Cole Grade and down Valley Center...whew)  so we knew we'd regroup at the top of Wohlford, the taco shop (where we don't eat tacos), etc. It was funny, though, because we were with Matt & Airy- who are both total gentleman. I could tell they would feel bad when I would fall back and they'd try to wait- and do the whole soft pedal, look back, let up dance. They maybe even thought it odd that James would just tell them to go ahead and leave me behind until the regroup. Anyway, by this point, James knows me and he knows I'm not going to be upset and that I actually appreciate them moving along until a spot we would normally stop anyway. So, it works (And thanks for waiting, guys!).
At the Mt. Palomar store- 90 minutes of climbing fun to get there! 

After the ride, we went home and it was time for an hour run. We decided to leave the house together (good motivation to just get out the door!) and then separate. But, in the first mile, I realized that he was in fact taking it mellow and I decided to hang on for the ride. Great call! We wove our way through the Encinitas Ranch trails and of course since James had picked the route, it was very hilly. We didn't talk much (we'd already been together since 6am!) but we ran together an enjoyed the silent company and perfect sunny day. It was a few notches faster than I would have run alone, but once I settled in, I realized the pace was perfect (and as Charisa mentioned in a post a month or so back- I need to redefine "easy"). Sure, we were running sub 8 minute pace on a tough route, but it wasn't hard and it was quite comfortable. BUT, if I had been jogging alone, the pace would have been much more yogging, less running.

And as if James hadn't paid his dues enough today, we topped it off with a 1500yd swim together, and yes, he led the whole time! As I said on twitter today...I spent 7 hours looking at my husband's butt. At least it's a cute one!


But, I must say he's even cuter from the front as seen below. Yes, after 7 hours of dragging me around, he still cooked up an epic dinner (And wore his cute lululemon shants with his I heart cyclocross shirt...love him!) That's it for now. Refueling for another big day tomorrow!

The Chef! 

22 comments:

Colleen Walseth said...

one word for you: rockstar.

SSB said...

I remember when I was dating Cat 1 guy...I would get so annoyed when he'd wait for me on every hill etc. But he was just so damn clingy I couldn't get him to understand that I didn't want him to wait and be the moral support/cheerleader every step of the way. So I dumped him. Glad you guys have it worked out :-)

Kelly said...

totally with you: hate the slow down look back. i'd rather just be left too -- then i don't get secretly resentful.

Mary IronMatron said...

First, that is truly sick training day. Kudos.
Also, though, I totally get not wanting him to wait. My husband is fast enough on the run that I literally can't run with him at all (think 2:40 marathon to 3:20 marathon)-- so that is not an issue. We don't even try. But with biking we aren't far off. Neverthless trains faster than me on the bike (not necessarily inracing) and I hate when he waits for me! It makes me feel I am ruining his ride, for one, and also that I MUST work harder to ride with him, when I really just need/want to do my own thing and not trash myself.
It is way better for marital relationships if you just meet up when you are done, or at the next rest stop, or whatever!
Can't wait to see how you do at IMTX! You will kick ass, I know that.

Christi said...

Congrats to both of you on a great training day!

Teresa said...

I love every second of it!!! You guys are awesome, inspiring, and are making it happen!! Love it!
tn

Kate said...

Sounds like you found the perfect system! What a duo!

Running and living said...

I love love love how hard you work, but also how much fun you have in the process. I often think about you as I train.

My husband and I are super competitive with each other (playfully!) so every time we ride together we end up racing.

I can't wait for your races. I predict 1st at both Oceanside and IMTX!

Running Bums said...

Haha I love this! Sergio and I "train" together everyday but he is obviously way too fast for me! Luckily he is the sandbagger and he usually runs his easy days with me:)' Very cool to see you guys doing this together!!!!

ajann0924 said...

Awesome training weekend! you guys work so hard and going to do so awesome at races this year. me and my husband train together but hes the natural athlete, runs/bike/swim once a week and can rock out 6min miles while i am huffing and puffing away!!

Matt said...

Great weekend! So cool you 2 can share your passion!

321delish said...

I can TOTALLY relate. My boyfriend and I swim, bike and run together as well and he is WAY faster at all three. In the past we struggled to find a balance that allowed us to train together, but in the end, starting together and then separating worked for us too!

bex said...

Holy WOW!!

You guys are amazing.

I just "convinced" (more like CONNED) my husband to do IMAZ in 2014 with me... we'll see how this goes.

Jill Costantino said...

You guys are amazing! If that were me and my husband I would be waiting for him in emerg:)

lolita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MissFancyPants said...

you both are so stinkin cute! My training time that I can spend with the hubby consists of me on the trainer while we watch a movie.

laura b said...

hey beth: this post totally hit home as steve and i have started to train "together, but alone" a lot more these days, esp on the bike rides!!

looking forward to seeing you soon in oceanside!!!

kerrie said...

i haaaaate training with the Super G but the other fast ladies love it so i leave it up to them. he always has to half wheel me - even when running which is sooooo annoying.
solid day!! i'm impressed.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

You have always been a superstar, but I think you are approaching another level of stardom. Wow! Keep up the good work.

Kona Shelley said...

So nice to be able to have a solid training buddy!

Heidi Austin said...

i don't know how you do it... my hubby and i fight ALL the time... we've kind of decided it's best to just do out own thing. although our roles are reversed when it comes to speed so that might be part of the problem.

Mer! said...

What a day! Awesome job and more importantly kudos to you guys for finding a balance...I struggled with that with Dave....he'd be like "do you want to go faster?" and huffing "THIS IS MY FASTEST" :)

You're going to have an awesome time in Texas! Go get 'em!