Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March ON!

Where does the time go? I swear I just posted a blog and then I realize that was about 10 days ago...And so it is, playing catch up a bit. 

March is a "long" month for me. Although it may not end up to be a huge volume month for me, March will be the most focused as my workouts are becoming much more race specific. This means less "winging it" and fewer social workouts because I need to respect the schedule my coach has made for me :). The intensity is picking up and it's time to put the head down and get 'er done! (Which is what I did during my 5am trainer intervals and then solo track sesh after work today). March is also the long haul for me as I am usually spoiled with my school schedule full of holiday weeks and 3-day weekends. However, in March we have none! A FULL month of work. And a busy month at that with lots of meetings, evaluations, presentations and other school psychological things. So, time to put my head down and get to work on all fronts. My first big race of the season is April 2nd at Oceanside 70.3. I CANNOT wait! (Except for that whole getting-in-the-ocean part- which is a necessary evil at least once or twice before the real deal race day.)

Anyhow, the past week or so has been busy and fun....
I logged some good ride time with James and friends...and completed my longest brick run of the year

Getting started in the foggy morning....



James lounging at one of our standard Cardiff coffee stops

Bryan catching his breath after our 2nd Double Peak repeat (each climb is 1200ft in 3.7 miles)  

enjoying the Double Peak view
Team Walsh
Last Sunday, I also ran in a beach 5k put on by professional triathlete Kate Major to support Australian flood victims. It was a perfect day and I could feel a real sense of community- it was really lovely. Kate & co did a fabulous job and raised a ton of money. And I came away with a new 5k PR (18:20) which I was happy with especially considering the 2.5 hour "hill pyramid" trainer ride I did early morning before the race began.... and it was on sand.

Aussie 5k Beach Run (picture by Dave Strom) 


Me- gettin' it in the 5k. Raced in (& loved!) the Zoot CompressRx Kinckers


That's it for now! It's nearly bedtime (8:30!) in the Walsh house. As we are 4 weeks out from race it's time for "lockdown". Lockdown= no snacks after dinner and in bed by 8:30. It's easier to get in bed on time when there are no tasty snacks to be eaten anyhow! 

7 comments:

SSB said...

I think it's easier to not eat those tasty snacks when I go to bed at 8:30.

Teresa said...

Love seeing the Walsh's on a mission! So excited to see you guys flourish this season!

Hang tough!!

tn

Christi said...

Good luck with your busy month. I am sure Team Walsh will kick ass!

MissFancyPants said...

Good luck this month, I am sure you will do awesome- you got Oceanside in the bag!

Jill Costantino said...

I'm with TN - watching you both on a mission is AWESOME!
I think maybe I should start going to bed at 8:30 to avoid the tasty snacks:)

Yasi said...

Your March sounds like my March, except for the training front. It's all business and birthdays out here. No school breaks until the end of April. Woe is us! I want those Zoot knickers (and your body to match). I agree that it's a lot easier to go to bed early when there's no snacks, unfortunately since I still live at home I am daunted by the little kid snacks daily!

kerrie said...

damn, i need to put my a$$ on lockdown cause all i do is snack until i go to bed at around 2 in the morning. i bet i could lose 5 lbs/day if i didn't eat after dinner.....