Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fuel of Champions!

I was going to write a post about training last weekend now that I have my dexterity back, but James already did it for me over on his blog. Just picture what he did, and then me hanging off the back somewhere. Seriously, for 13+ hours on the bike and 3 hours running over the weekend, my view did not change- it was either Dirk, Trevor

, or James' butt and I was proud to just hang on and stare at their nice calves. I could probably go into A LOT of detail about the intracacies of each ones backside...

Since my training recap is done for me, I thought I'd drop a note of "what it takes", nutritionally, to hang on a wheel for 7.25 hours and 8300 feet of climbing (with a 3500yd swim before and knowing I had an 8 mile t-run after)...and stay in a good mood all day long (note, boys, this is SATURDAY i'm writing about, not Sunday...I know my positivity was "compromised" at points in the rain...)

I started the day with breakfast (1/2 cup oatmeal, piece of gluten free toast with Nuttzo) and then opened the floodgates :) on the ride once we got to Ramona and never stopped....

water

3 servings G2 (60 cal)
1 bag baked lays (most of bag-150)
1 purefit bar-almond crunch (220)
1 peanut buddy natures path granola bar (minus a bite- 120)
1 snickers (270)
1 fun size snickers (70)
1 big bite Dirk's cinnamon roll (maybe 100)
1 banana (90)
1 Starbucks double shot vanilla (200)
diet coke
= 1280 calories... for 7.25 hours thats 176 cal/hour

Surprised it doesn't read "8 perfectly measured scoops of Ironman Perform with 6 Powergels blah blah blah ?" For me, I have one or two rides where I practice my race nutrition (which is Ironman Perform drink & clif bloks) and I really like these things...But I also like a little party in my mouth and just buying along the way what I feel like eating. Keeps it interesting. It's also interesting that although I don't count calories while I'm riding at all, if I ever lay it out like I just did, It's nearly ALWAYS in the 150-200 calorie/hr range for any ride over 4 hours. My body knows what it wants.

Don't worry, nutritionists! After all that crap, we went out for huge salads at Lotus Cafe for dinner, so I definitely got my 5-a day. Finished the night off with dessert of greek yogurt with chia seeds and some bonus peanut butter puffins mixed in there...to try to restore some semblance of glycogen for the 5 hr ride and 2 hr run on tap the next day...

phew....taper? are you near yet? i'm looking for you!!!
So....what are your training "treats"...anything I'm missing here? do you always do with race nutrition or like to have a little fun? 

17 comments:

paula said...

brave of you to recount your food...everyone seems to have an opinion...more/less/carb/protein/blah blah blah....good for you eating real food for a ride. good to practice both ways as far as i can tell.

Toby Guillette said...

Keep rockin it, Beth!

Andrea said...

You two need to bring back the VO2 Maxxed blog. I loved all your recipes.

Yasi said...

Er, I like your flax snacks. And sometimes carrots. :o)

Yasi said...

And I agree with Andrea..the VO2 Maxxed blog was awesome.

Beth said...

When I was training for Ironman last year I convinced myself that I needed to practice my race nutrition for EVERY SINGLE long ride. HA! That lasted about 2 weeks. :)

My favorites are frozen ice cream Snickers (when it's hot), that nasty hot chocolate sludge from the machines at gas stations (when it's cold), Fritos (when I'm craving salt) and Fig Newtons (pretty much all the time). Except the Snickers, all of those options are a bit repulsive to me at any other time but OH MAN do they taste good in the midst of a 6 hour ride... :)

R said...

On the ride or run I'm pretty good about sticking to sport food - they work really well for me. But when I finish I always stop by the Peet's a mile from my house and refill my water bottle with a Mocha (iced if it's hot). Chocolate, caffeine, fat and protein in one lovely package.

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Snickers are a staple on my long rides (and in Ironman) these days. BUT, my new favorite long ride treat about 3/4 of the way into a very long ride = Coke Slurpee. The cold, slushy, sugary CAFFEINE drink makes the last 20-30 miles FLY by. Love love love it!

R. said...

Loving everyone's favorite random training foods! I'm dying eating gels and crap during anything longer than a few hours, so am looking at using actual food. I'm usually a nut about eating healthy, but when I hike I do a lot of snickers and salty chips.

Thanks for all the tips!

Christi said...

Beth you are so great. I don't know how you hang with the boys but I am really impressed. I wish I could get some boys to lead me along Colorado. I better get on that right now!

Jennifer Harrison said...

I think I am the only one who eats my RACE DAY nutrition on my longer rides!? If I ate Snickers and stuff I would want that in a race and I don't think I can run well on that in the heat. ANYWAY....glad you had an awesome training weekend! OUCH. :)

GoBigGreen said...

Pearsons Salted Nut Rolls. They may not have em outside of MN but the closest thing is a Payday. I think its good to be able to tolerate alot of stuff. DKT eats McD's on his rides adn seems to run quite well off the bike:)

Ken L said...

I like the big fat oatmeal creme pies. I like to believe they're healthy (oatmeal) but I know they're not. Thanks for the tips.

Matt said...

dig the nutrition approach, one can only do the sugar stuff so much ;) been trying more "regular" foods in training myself. Killer Weekend!

idropboys said...

Race day nutrition is boring...I am with you. The reward for the training is shopping in the store for something to keep going. As you know...Double Shot's are my staple on long rides. Rice Krispie Treats are a bonus too!

Heidi Austin said...

i like my redbull and diet cokes..... race day nutrition gets old fast. blah..... ouch what a killer weekend

Running and living said...

I am new to triathlon, but I never practice my race day nutrition. I do gels in races and have been blessed with a tough stomach and no gi issues. In training, I go for muffins, pb&J, bananas, and always treat myself with a frozen frappucino light in the summer as a bike to run transition treat.