Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Runday

When Ironman gets close, sometimes Dirk actually requests that I do a long run. When this happens,  he floats it over to Monday after a long weekend of riding & running.

Today was an exercise in mental toughness. Last week may have been my biggest week ever, and ended with a 3 day trainfest in Tucson where we rode 230 miles and ran 16  in 3 days...

But in order to finish the huge 10-day block, I had to put the cherry on top with a 2hrs 30 run. This will be my only one over 2 hrs before IM Texas, so I was cool with sucking it up.

Today went like this.... 5 am wake up, 6 am masters swim, 7:45-3:45 psychologizing with the kiddies at work, 4- 6:30 RUN!

I was going to run home from work (for  little point-to-point action), and running with my phone stinks, but I couldn't wrap my head around being phoneless all night.

Since I brought it, I decided to take a couple of pictures along my merry way...
mile 3, climbing up to Del Mar

Same place, where I came from

Cardiff...Who stole my Tucson Sunshine?

The flowers brightened things up on the way to Encinitas



Storm a-brewin'?



7 miles to go!


Long day, time for bed! In case you are wondering, I just cruised along, never looking at pace or HR until the end...Avg pace was just over 8 min./mi and avg HR was exactly 120. Some may call this lazy. I call it building my musculoskeletal system and creating capillaries. 

16 comments:

Teresa said...

And you still found time to blog...sheesh!! Awesome training block...i hope you have a rest day tomorrow (with only a few 1000's repeats! ha!)

tn

Bria said...

You are my new training idol - for many reasons, but I think I like your attitude the best! Great job, Beth. :)

SHERRY said...

What a day! Awesome run and beautiful pictures. So much eye candy in SoCal! Way to go, Beth!

Christi said...

You are awesome! I would be wiped out and dead in my bed!

321delish said...

Your HR is impressive. I find it SO difficult to get my heart rate under 150 NO MATTER how fast I am running....

What is the highest your heart rate goes when you run (sprint)?

Jill Costantino said...

Awesome CRAZY block you just completed - look out TX!

RR said...

Awesome training block! Cant wait to see you kill it in Tx!

Gloria said...

I would call it pretty amazing training. You should be very proud of yourself...

GoBigGreen said...

Trails will save your skeleton ( as you said) for your "mature years" :)
Signed, a 44 yo admirer
PS that sounded creepy. hahaha.

Running and living said...

Nicely done. That HR of yours is amazing! Mine stays at 150 whether I run 8 or 7 min miles. Weird!

Heidi Austin said...

wow awesome hr for that pace... those longer IM runs are killer-way to get it done

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

How do you get your HR to be so low? I don't think I can run at any speed with a HR of 120. Is it just time in the shoes and out of the saddle ;) ?

busy mama said...

I am with Jen, I think if I walk a step my HR is 120, mind you I'm nowehere you guys shape.

allison said...

Awesome! Kinda sounds like a neat way to end the day, even though I'm sure you were exhausted!! Way to get it done :) You are gonna kill it at IMTX

rr said...

Dream run! I'm totally jealous and should probably relocate to SD already.

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. said...

Happy to have just found your blog! I'm a SoCal runner and love finding fellow California bloggers! You are champ with all of your training, I look forward to following!