Thursday, April 7, 2011

Race Day Magic

I definitely didn't coin the phrase and am pretty sure I stole it from Rachel before the Las Vegas Marathon. I've always believed good things can happen on race day, I'm just glad she gave me a name for it:

RACE DAY MAGIC
Race day magic happens at the intersection of fitness & focus. As JP said on twitter, it's "the beauty of a well executed taper combined with mental toughness." He NAILED IT! The thing about RDM, though, is that it's like Santa Clause. It only comes to those who believe! RDM is different than confidence. You can be confident, and still blow it.It's more than confidence. Race Day Magic comes to those who are physically prepared, but also mentally prepared to win. Those who have executed a training plan, and know that their performance has the potential to be the confluence of every workout in their preparation. Those who believe in (and have benefited from) RDM know that there is no single workout that tells you how you will race, or indicates that you can hold XX watts for your ironman bike split. RDM may not come to those who put too much stock in one fast paced t-run or a flicker of excellence in a swim set. It comes to those who slog through a painful 90 minute t-run after a long ride, but KNOW they will hold a pace more than a minute faster per mile during Ironman. It comes to those who put in the work week after week. They may not be winning workouts (they're too tired), but they're the ones that are at masters swim like clockwork, and have few excuses for missed sessions. You'll see their weak spots in training, and they may have days where they just need to take it "easy". But they get it done. 

On race day, RDM comes to those who believe that they have done the work, and the work will converge in a performance that is above what they have shown in any single workout. They may have done workouts with MORE work, but no work as QUALITY as what will magically appear on race day. RDMers know how to taper and taper hard. They didn't put in months of work to go in tired and feeling heavy. They know that the RDM can only appear to a rested body and mind....Oh, the mind! RDM will come when you sit there on race morning knowing that there is nothing more you could have done to prepare, and when the gun goes off, the party will begin! These are the relaxed people in transition, chatting easily with twinkle in their eye. They know that the RDM is about to begin. Its a special thing that I hope you get to experience!

My Race Day Magic is only possible because I have faith that my equipment and my body will not interfere with execution of a good day..I have to thank those that made my RDM possible on Saturday at California 70.3:
Geek shot! For my parents :)

The body...
Dan the A.R.T. man keeps me working and irons out the creaks and niggles before they every become creaks and niggles. While Bryan and the Rehab United crew give me the strength and the core to keep good form to the finish. Nuttzo nourishes me with the "good fats" during training and Powerbar keeps me truckin' on the course. 
The gear...
Nytro makes their Nytro Women feel like triathlete princesses decked for the ball in Betty Designs..From Giro to Oakley to Colnago to Squadra to Reynolds to SCAPE. We're set up like pros. And from someone on a teacher's salary with 4 years of grad school loans, I truly truly appreciate (And wouldn't be able to compete without) the support. 

Zoot is a major team sponsor, but one that is even more to me. For me, Zoot feels like home. Zoot's part of my triathlon family and I hope they always will be. When I talk about Zoot, I talk so passionately, it's like I own the company. I BELIEVE in their people, their mission, their SHOES, their compression, and more wholeheartedly. The shoes have carried me to many-a best run split and i train, race, AND recover in their compression. There is no product I stand behind more. 
My newest bevy of beauties. I chose the Ultra RACE 3.0 for O'side....good call...  
Thanks to this team for helping me live my dream and thank you for sharing in my race day magic..

Oh, and James and coach Dirk....my leading men. I tell you how much you mean to me all the time. There's not enough space in this little blog entry. Next time...

Did you get past the thank-yous? Well, thank YOU and now you deserve some pictures!

Post race with good friend and W45-49 CHAMPION (sub 5 by the way!) Julie Dunkle. A partner in crime for summer training for 70.3 & IM Worlds! 

Hunter, James, Me, & Tawnee (I think H & T should make out. cute, early 20's, total tri nerds...they're gonna love me for posting this :)) 

14 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

CONGRATS On your awesome race, BETH!!!

D said...

You're welcome.

(and I think Tawnee's done enough making out with tri nerds for quite a while...)

Christi said...

What a great post! You are a rock star and I am glad you let me follow your adventures!

Running Bums said...

Love this! Believe in the race day magic!!!:D

X-Country2 said...

Such a thoughtful post. "Luck favors the prepared" on race day too. :o)

Nicole Wagner said...

a friend told me about your blog and I can't thank you enough for this post. I am training for my first marathon and I really want to do a sub 3:20. I have a half marathon this weekend and I had to take a really easy week this week. I've been worried it might effect my performance but everything you said about race day magic and trusting in my training just made my day. My coach always tells me this but it really helped to hear it from you!!! thank you! I'm gonna go kick some butt this weekend!;)

Tawnee Prazak said...

Great post, very inspiring.

I second D's comment ;)

Tawnee Prazak said...

However, I'm not saying Hunter is a nerd whatsoever... annnnd I'll shut up now.

Teresa said...

RDM is an amazing thing!! Loved your post and wholeheartedly agree.

Great performance Beth and I know your RDM will shine in your upcoming races!!
tn

kerrie said...

yes!! nothing like a little RDM to make things happen. i totally believe in it. and so who should make out with who? sounds like the san diego tri scene is much more fun;)

Kelly B. said...

Great post! And great race! Congrats to you! All the hard work and commitment paid off...and the barfing details...sorry, but those were funny! We were through Oceanside a couple of weeks ago, stopped in for supper...what a beautiful part of the world you live and train in!!

Kona Shelley said...

Wow, I love that award..congrats!

bex said...

inspirational as always, beth!!

I'm personally scared shitless for my upcoming race and hoping for and believing in (I hope??) some RDM for myself.

here we go!!!

Thanks for always being an inspiration!!

Heidi Austin said...

congrats on your rockstar performance! i hope i can work some RDM this weekend... and i think you have the best combo of sponsors out there :) love it!