Friday, May 20, 2011

Good Morning, Texas!

Well, the day before the race is finally here. Being a triathlete with one or two "A" races dotted across the year, the "kid on Christmas" feeling is one we luckily get to experience in non-Christmas-y months like May and October. Of course, this "kid on Christmas" feeling is also mixed with "kid singing a solo on stage in front of the entire 6th grade" feeling. For the first time, my feelings about Ironman Texas tomorrow are more "Christmas" than "6th grade singing solo". First, I am confident in my training. Last year, I knew I had done the training for IMSG and Kona, but I didn't exactly know how that training would express itself in a race. Now, I know that I really HAVE done the training, and if I race as I am capable of- it could be a great day!

If there are bumps in the road, I can adapt and still have a great day.. (side note- it is my belief that you can COUNT ON having 4 things go "wrong" in Ironman. Each time something goes wrong on the day, say to yourself, "Ok, this is #1. Deal with #1. Adapt. #1 is out of the way. On to #2!" Just count on 4 things as PART of your race day plan. You check them off like swim, bike, run. And hey, if you reach the finish line and had just 3 things go wrong? Winning!).

It's not that the pressure is off of me for tomorrow, it's not. (And by pressure, I do realize that it's only the pressure I place on myself. No one else really cares or knows the difference if you go 8 hours or 15 hours.) I have some personal goals set. Even if I find myself at mile 21 of the run winning my age group (dream!), I won't be "shutting it down" or "cruising it in". Tomorrow is me against the clock and I'm there to dream to catch a PR! I went 10:13 in my last Ironman in Kona, so I've been working the past 5 months on just how to shave those 13 minutes. Now, this is the first ever Ironman Texas, so I have no idea how fast or slow the course will be- so the time thing is a gamble. But for me, that will be one of my motivators tomorrow. The course itself does not appear too debilitating, but when you factor in high heat and humidity with a great chance of a stiff headwind for the last 56 miles- who knows what you'll get! But that's half the fun, isn't it?

My other big motivator is to cross the same finish line as James in an Ironman. It's his first Ironman and I think that this helps me relax about my own race, because I am just (if not more) amped up about his race. When things get tough tomorrow, and I know they will, I'll keep going knowing we are in it together.

It's almost time for bike check-in. Time has flown since we arrived and we've certainly done less sitting-around-with-the-legs-up than we should be doing but there is just so much to get done...
here's a few pictures of what we've been up to...
Pre race swim- bad picture..overcast & wind blowing!

Tested out our sleeveless Zoot wetsuits (Jury is out on if its wetsuit legal or no! 76 degrees today & cutoff is 76) . The wetsuits are awesome. Why did I never try a sleeveless before? I love it! 

Tri Slide it up! James needs to lose a few lbs.. if he wants to race well in this heat :)

There is a lululemon store by the finish line and they had all the participants names etched in glass! We're pointing to our names although you can't tell

Lunch #2 at Hubbell & Hudson- awesome Whole-Foods-On-Crack type of establishment

me & my scary face- Lunch #1 at Hubbell & Hudson
Okay! All that's let to do is check bikes and gear, eat, and relax. I hope the Race Day Magic fairy visits me in my sleep tonight! Track us tomorrow on www.ironman.com - Beth Walsh #238, and James Walsh #1132. AND, if you like triathlon at all (and it's not like watching paint dry to you) I highly recommend the live online coverage of the event as the lovely Hillary Biscay is one of the hosts!
Good luck to all of the competitors out there- it will be a fun one! See you on the other side...

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Can't wait to hear how you did!!! I tried to track it just now but can't find the link for some reason.

Yasi said...

That race day magic and you have quite the relationship, it always finds you! You're set to kill it, and you two will do awesome!

Ryan Denner said...

I can't believe how many capitalized letters there are in this blog post

Ryan Denner said...

... especially at the start of sentences

Jill Costantino said...

Kick some booty out there Team Walsh! So fantastic that both of you are "in it together". Crush those Dreams!

Running Bums said...

Haha love the 6th grade solo analogy and that you two get to do this together! I hope you guys have a rad time and kick ass!

PS- Love the "Whole Foods" Salad Trip--that saves Sergio and I overtime :)'

SixTwoThree said...

Have an amazing race you two! At the risk of sounding like a geeky groupie, I'll be glued to my keyboard looking for you guys and sending good vibes! Go get 'em - and those PRs!!

Mary said...

Good luck girl! I love the four things go wrong statement...I hope it's zero :) smile and enjoy the moment!

Vince A. said...

Hey runner from the Woodlands Texas have followed your blog, big welcome to Texas! We'll be out at about mile eight of the bike, top of the hill heading out (a block from our house) taking pictures as you head up. Too early for lemonade. And maybe see you at the finish. Best of luck to the both of you - happy trails.

J.P. Patrick said...

Good luck, Beth! Kat and I will be tracking you two all day. Have fun!

Wassdoc said...

I love the "count 4 things going wrong" concept! You are going to rock tomorrow!

ajann0924 said...

Awesome job today for u and James! U guys work so hard glad to see such awesome results. Hope you guys have some time to relax and celebrate. Way to crush it

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

wicked fast beth! congrats on a great race!
LC

p.s.
love the booch pic of course.
;)

MissFancyPants said...

Great job! You really should be extremely proud of yourself!!

Melissa said...

Just saw the results and you were amazing! great job!!

Kim said...

Smokin Fast Chica! Very impressed! You really did have some race day magic!!!