Sunday, May 8, 2011

telling

have you ever thought about the things in life that tell the most about you? they can be actions, routines, facts, whatever, but they have to be little truths that make you you. i've been thinking about this lately (my mind must be rotting from so many hours on the bike and i think up random things to occupy my time) and find it very interesting for some reason. i'm really curious about the unique things of others that seem little, but are REALLY telling...let me show you what i mean because i can tell this makes no sense.

i have three things that i think tell the essence of me.....

1) my wallet(s) [sorry, james, if this is embarassing to you. it's my own little tell-all ]
okay, the wallet(s)...apparently i have three and they are all made by the same designer, Ziploc. actually, i think one is a faux Ziploc (how trashy!). these clearly say a lot about me. from just this picture, you can gather that
wallet of champions!
*i am really classy. right.
*i have a reason to have waterproof "wallets" (or i must REALLY be on a budget)
*well, there is a masters swim monthly pass in one, a YMCA card, some freaky yellow pills (supposed to delay fatigue or some such hooey), not a lot of cash, a couple lip glosses (even an athletic girl still needs a hint of color!), some melatonin (trouble sleeping!), and by the looks of the license, I am a Californian.
*if you have very good inference skills, you may also infer that I am unorganized to the degree that i keep losing my "wallet" so i just keep making more "wallets" and then i suddenly have 3 "wallets" in one bag


2) Dinner!
our dinners tell a lot about me and my family (James!).
*they are always served in this huge white bowl- i eat LARGE amounts of food
*they are not really kid-friendly...as we have no kids ...yet...
* i have a very healthy and talented chef who takes care of me :)
*lean protein & greens = pretty much every night (what this doesn't tell about me is that i eat junk almost every day at school at some point- brownie, cookie, bagel...something baked & delicious)
grilled mahi, spinach, grilled veggies & avo from chef James


3) I keep my make-up bag in my car. 
this was the first thing i thought of when i thought about this blog post while i was driving to work one day. i think this says SO MUCH about me.
first, i wear make up. not LOTS of makeup, but enough to look professional and presentable at work. (so this also tells you that i work and must look somewhat like i know what i'm talking about). secondly, this tells you inadvertently that i'm ALWAYS on the go. most mornings, i workout and then scramble to get to work just in time. i have it down to a big time science, including make-up application at every stoplight. [NO, I don't put on mascara while actually driving]. unfortunately, my make-up-bag-in-the-car also tells you that i don't usually have a need to put on makeup on the weekends. we're usually so busy with triathloning, that not many fancy outings needing make-upping occur. however, i do take the bag out of the car about once a weekend for a dinner or birthday or whatever...

anyway, enough about me. what kinds of things say A LOT about you? do you drink a Kombucha every day? have any telling rituals? wear the same race t-shirt to bed every night? just curious...

21 comments:

beth said...

thought of another. i eat chocholate EVERY day. no exceptions.

Tawnee Prazak said...

Cracking up when I read this because I do the exact same things as you. No real wallet, always eat my mega meals from the same big blue bowl and makeup doesn't leave the car.

How about this one too: My regular purse is a Trader Joe's reusable grocery bag. The best $1.99 purse ever!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Hee hee hee! I have a ziplock wallet too. I actually put my real wallet in it most of the time and get funny looks when I pull the wallet out of it. Tim and I have a jar of 60% Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips for "baking" that we snitch from daily.....Oh yeah and I have purses but like Tawnee the one I use most is my Trader Joe's recycling bag.

krystyna47 said...

i'm totally going to make a post about this -- about both triathlon and regular life (really, they've become blended together for a while now!)

SSB said...

I was at a store the other day and a gal pulls out that same wallet from her (real) purse. I started laughing. She looked embarrassed. I reached into my (real) wallet and pulled out the same ziplock baggie wallet. BTW, Splish swimsuit bags make the perfect! wallet. That's my excuse for getting so many new suits.

Ingrid said...

Love this post, just love it! I actually stash a blowdryer at work (26 miles away, no I don't run there and can't claim to be a marathon runner to work)...a little airdry in the car, finishing professional touches at work, time efficiently spent! Silly ritual, wear the same tshirt after ever race. I got it at a half-marathon in Wichita, KS (when I think 13.1, I think kansas?!?!)...best damn shirt ever!

Michelle Simmons said...

I used to keep my make-up bag in my car... but then once it must have fallen out b/c it was just GONE... so I bought all new make-up... then someone broke into my car and stole it (really??) so again, had to buy all new make-up. Now I just rarely wear the stuff but I keep it in my bathroom because somehow I think it is safer there. ;)

Running and living said...

Yup, chocolate every day for me too, a disconnect between my professional and personal life when it comes to how I look, and huge cups,bowls and plates for everything I consume.

Bria said...

I keep a stash of instant oatmeal packs in my office at work for breakfast. Always coming into the office from the pool or from a workout!

Christi said...

I eat the same batch of veggies everyday and made the same way. It is the quickest and tastiest way to do it!

Charisa said...

chocolate is necessity! :) And coffee. I have about 10 ziplock wallets as well.

bex said...

I'm laughing as I read this at work because I realized I forgot to put on MY makeup in my car this AM :D

idropboys said...

Awesome Post!
make up? maybe I should try some...I do have Burtz Bees Hint of Color lip gloss in my purse- which is actually a reusable shopping bag
t-shirt to bed? sleep naked
2 frozen York Peppermint Patties every night
emergency bag in my car- swim suit, running shoes, sports bra, few random bars and gels and a bottle of water-

brightcheerygirl said...

I have 3 different Lululemon gift card "wallets". It's the perfect size and fits everything that I need in it! I also must have a coffee from Starbucks everyday, no exceptions or it would be ugly. Thankfully there is one only a block away from my house.

mickiruns said...

Haha, awesome! I have a 'catch all' bag I keep in the car; there's a complete running outfit in there, and usually a rain jacket. It helps that the running stroller is back there as well...

As for chocolate, I'm another that has it daily. We have a HUGE bag of little Ghirardelli squares that we bought from Costco. I have no shame. The best part is reaching into the bag and not knowing what I'll get... Man. I can't wait to have one tonight!

ajann0924 said...

OMG, this is too funny, i love it. I do the same thing with makeup, always in the car, even on weekends. Sometimes if i dont have time before i get into work, i do it at my desk and use my cell as a mirror.

My sister and husband also laugh at my obsession with picks (i dont own a brush or comb). i have one everywhere, car, husbands car, work drawers, purses, gym bag. For some reason i dont actually have one IN the house.

and i drink way too much diet coke.

Yasi said...

There must be something to this Ziploc wallet thing, all the fast girls have them! My wallet stays in my car always. Saves me sometimes from online shopping (except now I have my card # engrained in memory). I eat carrots every day without exception. It went from 2-3x a day to now 3 definitely and sometimes 4 (breakfast, lunch, snack & dinner). The inside of my hands are orange-hued.

Kendra said...

I love the ziploc wallet, I have a couple myself. I feel like my car always looks like a cross between a locker room and a bike shop. As a bonus if I forget to pack for a workout what I need is probably somewhere in my car.

MissFancyPants said...

So funny!!Zip lock bags are the "must-have" of trendy triathletes...I use them for wallets and make-up bags (because I forget to take them into my REAL make-up bag when I am not flying). I use Wegmans brand of zip lock and my the NEW tote from TJs (it's lineny looking....lol)

Heidi Austin said...

i have the same bag... mine is for money, ID, advil, and my phone...and my lipstick is burts bees tinted chapstick~ it works wonders

kerrie said...

i just read this(so far behind on blog reading...) and had to laugh because i have the same wallet(s). stopped at sbux today and had to count that change out of one of the bags that was in another bag. so classy. and i also keep my makeup in my car in the front seat in the middle...and all kinds of things. i live out of my car. and everything is sorted into different reusable grocery bags!
stay classy!