Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Earning Beauty Sleep

We've been smashing it over here. Since Vineman 70.3, I have put in the most solid block of training I can remember. I don't want to speak too soon, but its almost as if last years cycling miles are FINALLY catching up with me. I had a series of rides where I surprised even myself in my ability to not get dropped. Topping the cycling miles off with some speedy running and consistent swimming has nearly resulted in....

My first (of three) treadmills last Thursday


Like that? I broke the treadmill! I know they shut down at a certain pace (its the YMCA, people) if you go "too fast" for more than 30 seconds, but I had forgotten which pace. Turns out its about 5:40/mi .

After all that system overload, James and I were ready for a recovery week. Lucky for me, it's also a taper week. The big news around here is not that I'm racing Timberman 70.3 in New Hampshire this weekend (but I am). The big news is that my sixty year old mother is racing her very first half ironman at Timberman 70.3 . Can you believe it? My mom, Robin, lives across the country, but turns out this blog has been good for at least one thing..About a year ago she decided to train for her first triathlon (after reading all about how fun it is on this here internet space) and now she's totally hooked. Can't wait to report on Mom's big race!

So, we've been going big on recovery here this week. James is very serious about sleeping. And he very seriously has no idea I took this picture.

Beauty Sleep. 
 We've also been eating well...I love BEETS!
another Whole Paycheck salad
 And taking time to remember the importance of a life. Our friend JT was part of Navy Seal Team 6 and his journey ended two weeks ago in Afghanistan. 300 local athletes and friends gathered for a beautiful evening run in remembrance. Read more about it here. We miss you, JT! Thank you for giving your life for us.
Beginning the run/walk

I have one last tougher workout this morning involving a ride with people I usually can't keep up with. But guess what? I will not get dropped. That is all. I will not get dropped. (repeat as necessary)

12 comments:

MissFancyPants said...

That is awesome about your mom! I can't wait to hear about the race, I would like to do it next year since my father-in-law is from there and we may try to take a little trip! Side note- love the new blog look

GZ said...

I love that you are destroying treadmills everywhere.

Beth said...

How awesome that your mom is also racing! Best of luck to you both! :)

Kate said...

Your SIXTY YEAR OLD mom is doing a half ironman!? And your dad is into cycling right? I guess it's in the genes!

R said...

Go Mom! That's totally cool.

Jill Costantino said...

That is INCREDIBLE about your Mom - good on her! What an inspiration. My mom is planning her first 1/2 IM duathlon for next year and I can't wait for her to do it. Moms are SO inspiring. Looking forward to reading the RR and forwarding it onto my mom to get her more motivated.
Awesome job for you too - way to stay with the bunch.
Kick some butt at the next one!

jakesmom said...

B - that is awesome about your Mom. Tell her I said hello and good luck. Looking forward to the joint race report. Have a safe trip.

Matt said...

Sounds like it's all coming together formya, crush dreams in NH.. Funny pic of James

Barb said...

Have a great time at Timberman, that is my favorite race!! Too funny about the treadmills.

SixTwoThree said...

Is your mom gonna go to Kona too?! I'm grinning at the thought of it. Have an amazing race and visit with your mom!

Yasi said...

I hope the race went well today! We had some gnarly weather this afternoon so I REALLY hope you missed it. I sleep with an eye mask on too sometimes because I'm super sensitive to the light. It renders the best beauty sleep around.

Your bike miles are totally coming around, though I've always thought you were BA (badass) on the bike.

hillary biscay said...

sounds like you kids need to invest in a new machine for the house.....woodway treadmills (at least the nicer ones) can sustain 25km/hr.