Saturday, September 24, 2011

Nothing Fancy

warning: there is a little rant-y type situation sandwiched in here...read with caution :) well, i guess its not a rant.. tirade maybe? type-happy-post-workout-head-to-finger-spew?


You know, I thought about not writing this post. This "oh wow, I had such a great workout, I am so ready for Kona blah blah blah". Not because I didn't want to, but because I don't want people (my "competition" maybe) to think that I'm trying to psych them out and pull some Macca mind moves on them.

 I reminded myself that when I started this blog (before I had ever done a triathlon and just 2 months after I learned to clip in to bicycle pedals), "my competition" wasn't even on my radar. I was more concerned about not-drowning (still am I guess) and learning what an IT Band was and wondering why someone would ever eat food while they workout.  I just started chronicling the ins and outs of my training. The good days and the bad, I put it all out there. I used to put up my entire training for the week (oh how lazy I have become!). The point is, it was never about making other people happy, putting up a front, or changing what I would say based on who read it. I've gotten many offers to monetize my blog (can't believe how many people read this stuff- thank you thank you thank you!), and companies wanting me to write reviews in exchange for money or product, but that's not up my alley. I write what I want to write. period.

Now, sometimes when  I go to write a blog post, I find myself saying,  "Will this girl or this girl think that I think that I'm hot doo doo or overconfident?" So today, I said, ENOUGH! Why am I overthinking this? The thing I love about my blog is that it has always been real (or as real as I can make it with my job as a school psychologist) and has never been about anyone else or getting sponsors (I don't think I even knew triathlon sponsors existed when I started this blog..) or just race reporting. It's about life and how my life has evolved as someone who is now, most definitely in the "triathlete" category. It's fun to look at the blog header "Triathlon-ish in San Diego" because I had never done a triathlon and didn't want to claim I was some triathlete or something. I just had a dream to do a triathlon. Looks like that one came true :). Thanks, Santa.

So, back to me, the real me. What I want to write is that I had one of those great days today. A day that I don't think I've ever had in training so effortlessly. Ok, well there was a lot of effort (or work done by my wattage cottage), but my perceived exertion is just in a totally different zipcode than it used to be.

There were no paces to hit, or intervals that required "nailing", it was nothing fancy. Just a good solid swim-bike-run day.
Today went like this:
Swim-2 miles- one hour masters pool swim. Nothing fancy, just a solid swim on a base interval (leaving on the 1:30 for all the sets if you're curious) that used to be WORK, but just felt smooth and steady. I was gliding! I was not writhing! This was how swimmers swim, I swear!

We basically swam a couple broken 1500s on this 1:30 interval, but came in on the 200 and 300s with 10 to 20 seconds rest. Nothing fancy, just a standard saturday "warm up" for the bike & run. I got out of the pool feeling fresh and awake.

Ride- 75 miles- 4 hours 20 minutes with 4700 feet of climbing. Again, nothing fancy. Just me and my husband riding towards the sunshine up a bunch of hills.
first glimpse of sunshine all day, only had to ride 40 miles east!
I wasn't that I was "killing it" or riding hard, but that  I just felt solid. About halfway through the ride I realized that just 8 or 9 months ago, there were about 5 places (all the big climbs) where James would have had to stop and wait for me for at least 2 minutes. But today, we rode together all day (and by together I mean me on his wheel except for the 3 minutes when I pulled on Woods Valley and he thought it was "cute"). Nothing fancy, just progress. The ride never felt hard, but I can feel how much more power I can summon without falling over in an asthma attack. I now have the *choice* of whether or not I want to stay with him on a climb (unless he is trying to rip legs off), where as it used to be a non-issue: Beth will fall off the back and James will play on his phone and wait for her at the top.

Run- 13.1 miles- 1hr 38 minutes (7:29 pace)- average heart rate- 141. This is where it gets good (to me)! I got home and had a lovely message from Katya that she would meet me for my last long run-off-the-bike. My text response was some type of high school gush involving, "OMG I love you! BFF!" I got my butt out the door and brought my Garmin to make sure I kept my heart rate in check (because it was to be nothing fancy, just a jog). I started jogging easy and clicking off the miles running down to meet K. When Garmin beeped, I would peek at the mile splits, surpised to see 7:20s & 7:30s because it felt like I was running 8 minute pace. I checked my heart rate-high 130s....perfect! I figured I'd bank these miles while I could, and probably "feel it" and slow down later. Well, later never happened. I met up with Katya for the middle 7-ish miles and we chatted and chatted, just a couple crazy girls out for a "jog". I didn't tell her we were running 7:15s until I felt bad because she just did IM Wisconsin 2 weeks ago (and was 5th lady!!) so I offered to slow down, but she was killing it and just jogging with me and chatting so we didn't change a thing. My last 4 miles were uphill (and I even added a bonus hill) and my pace never slowed down. I did speed it up a bit (and my heart rate zoomed up a bit too- oops!) at the end (a combination of wanting to see what I had left in the tank and also turning on my ipod and just generally being in the zone).Turns out there was plenty left in the tank.

Yeah, today was a page in my book, and it takes a book of workouts to add up to Race Day Magic. (it also takes a smart smart taper). I don't like to "read" too much into any one day. It doesn't tell me anything about what pace I may run in Kona or how many minutes I can shave off my bike time, but it does tell me that I'm at a place where I can finally say that I'm pretty fit for me. And for me, fit=fun. And for now, that's what its all about. Today I had FUN riding my bike with my husband and sticking like glue to his wheel up Old 395. I had fun jogging a tempo-ish t-run and am pretty lucky that I had a super fit friend to do it with. I had fun realizing that this year's steady swim-all-day pace is last years "gasping for air" pace.

Triathlon is fun. Blogging about it is also fun. Because you can see where you've come from, where you are, and dream about where you may go.

25 comments:

Jarvis Family said...

Thank you, Beth! I LOVE your blog! Can't wait to see you crush it in Kona!

Teresa said...

So happy your day/workout was so amazing...love when hard work pays off! We will be cheering for you in Kona!

Adam said...

I had a moment like this a few weeks ago while doing a run workout during lunch (4.43 miles):

I wanted a nice easy run, but I finished my workout in almost 30min flat. Earlier this year, a 30min run wasn't even possible, and that day I did it without even breaking a sweat. I was trying to hold back the entire time, so when I saw 30:00, I thought maybe I had pushed the pace but my body was saying everything was good.

After this, I came to the realization that my fitness had increased, but my perspective didn't. To me, a 30min run was still considered "fast" but my legs were much fitter compared to months ago. After realizing this, I felt fantastic. Being fit feels good. :)

FatDad said...

Preach it sister. well said. It's been fun reading about your adventures all this time. I can remember when me and @runninggunner were saying to each other "I think Jameson is dating that Beth chick!"
hahaha

Kelly said...

You should play Macca mind games. It'd be awesome.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

You know, some people brag on their blogs and you can see the overcompensation right there, in the writing. And the fitter, or more competitive people get, the higher their noses go up in the air. But you've got nothing of us so no worry. And you are super gracious with your competition!

GoBigGreen said...

Progress is fun! And your blog is your blog so i love the honesty. Have a blast in Hawaii, and yes ms. Katya looked lovely and crusin' when i saw her running by me at Madison. Good times that you had a fun run with her!

GZ said...

Impressive run after that day. Well done. And yah, keep the blog as it is. Whatever anybody thinks or worries about is their issue.

Ken L said...

Nice! Sounds like you're having fun.

Beth said...

You are so Kona ready!!! I love to see hard work pay off. Glad I will get to see you crush it in Kona with my very own eyes!! See you soon!

Sue said...

Dear Beth:
Can I start from the beginning:) Seems like years ago and then it seems just like yesterday, you will always be one of the "Good People" in our circle of circles. Thanks for that! xo

Top SEO Company India said...

Dear Beth,
I look your blog and found it very interesting, I like it more....
Technical Analysis, technical analysis book, technical analysis course and technical analysis guide.

MissFancyPants said...

You worked so hard for this! Congrats on such an awesome day!

Rose said...

That sounds like a perfect day! Sometimes blogging feels odd, I am where you were when you started...who cares about my training? But, people do and it's a good record for myself :) Good luck in Kona - you're sure to do well!

Kelly B. said...

Oh for goodness sake...don't you DARE think about what others are think! I love this blog...because I feel it is so honest and fun...and you happen to be lightening fast...my Dad always used to say "The harder you work...the luckier you get..."
So there. When you shine, others will be jealous...its one of the crappier things about being human!!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

so excited for u in kona.... and love your coined phrase race day magic.... seems like u have a lot of it or should i say you worked hard to earn it ;) can't wait to watch you and my pittsburgh friends rock it on! good luck in ur final taper

Yasi said...

Beth, you don't have to ever dream about where you may go, you can go the distance for sure. You are awesome and real and I appreciate it a lot. I can tell from your writing that you are genuine, and happy! I love it! I can't wait to see what Kona brings, or see you bring it at Kona!

Kiet said...

Great post, totally get it, no need to explain any of it, just a description of how it all went down is cool. Soak it all up Beth, enjoy the next couple of weeks.

endurancegirl said...

beth, i don't comment on your blog as much as i read it, but have enjoyed following your training and racing. excited to watch you TEAR IT UP in kona. you have worked so hard and you deserve it!!

endurancegirl said...

beth, i don't comment on your blog as much as i read it, but have enjoyed following your training and racing. excited to watch you TEAR IT UP in kona. you have worked so hard and you deserve it!!

SixTwoThree said...

Damnation! You should celebrate that with a Russian River ale or something. Yes, yes, savor it, celebrate it, and definitely share it with us. It's been fun to follow your journey - and your courtship ;-)

Tina Marie Parker said...

Have a great race!

Tina Marie Parker said...

Have a great race!

GZ said...

Hey - have a good time out there and let that race come. Don't get into all the pre race prediction hype (saw the twitter feed). Do your thing and you will reap the rewards. All the best. Live it.

cheryl said...

you are going to ROCK it! (and have a blast doing this!) The best of luck to you!