Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Vegas 70.3 World Championships- Morning Mantra

Race Morning- 9/11/11





I woke up and checked twitter (d'uh!). I saw a quote retweeted from Lindsay Cotter that said...uuhhhh...grrrr...I can't find the quote! Well, pretty much it was about sunshine. And the gist was. "Don't make it your goal to outshine another. Be the ray." BE THE RAY. I loved that. Immediately I realized that the day, for me, was not about outshining. I wanted to be the ray. When all you think about is win, win, win, sometimes you forget that the shine within is what will really carry you the furthest.

I thought about that and then I also thought about the 10th anniversary of September 11th and the deep meaning it has for me and my fellow Americans. I also thought about my friendly, but fierce, competitors in the Women's 30-34 age group. A few of us have become a bit of a band (all are welcome to join the band!) after racing together all year long. We laugh, heckle a bit, smack talk some, and just enjoy meeting up and seeing our "kindred spirits" at races. I mean, we are an odd bunch! We hold down full time jobs, have a full time hobby and kind of are intense about life in general, so its nice to find people that "get your kind of crazy".

I've told each of these girls that of course, I want to be the winner on race day (d'uh!), but that it also means a lot to me to have our USA girls on the podium, however it comes about. This came about after last year's Kona when only one USA girl snuck into 5th place on the podium at the World Championships. Come on! We can do better! Now, with my band of USA girls, I hope and really believe that this year can be different. I know AT LEAST 5 of us who can motivate each other to get those wooden bowls (the coveted award for a podium finish) on October 8th.

So, there's this AND the fact that I was the recipient of some pretty poor sportsmanship earlier this year, and that kind of ish has no place in a race of women who are over  thirty years old. Come on, this is not high school. Although we should wish to kick each other's respective behinds, we should also wish each other well, hope everyone brings their A game, and in the end, represent for USA at our World Championships...

And so was born my mantra, "Be the ray. Go USA!" I must have repeated this to myself 1,000 times during Sunday's race. It looks kind of stupid writing it, but I was so into it! Each time, I would picture a light shining from within myself and propelling me forward. Somehow, this race mantra also forces one to smile and drink in the incredible day unfolding around them. I felt much more aware all day long and I think some of it was my mantra.

When I snapped out of cheesy mantra mode, I realized I was still sitting in bed at 4:15 am and it was time to breakfast up and trek to T1. Breakfast was: Coffee, one packet of instant oatmeal, half a banana (b/c it was gross). I knew that wasn't enough, so I packed some snacks for transition. My wave was set to go at 7am so I knew I'd have some time once I got there...

We arrived in the darkness
T1 before dawn

Did all the stuff you need to do (pump tires, fill bottles, get nutrition together, short run, dress for the show!)

James & I got to wear the almost-releast spankin' hot Zoot SpeedZoot. 

Then, it was time for business...Time to line up in the corral (forever!) and time to get serious...
Or not...But that other chick...she's serious! 
Hang on for the race report. I'm lazy. Or busy. Or just a combination. This week pretty much started by waking up at 4am monday to catch the first flight to San Diego to be at my desk by 8am...i think that catching up on everything will take until the weekend at least!

10 comments:

Teresa said...

Great quote and you USA girls rock!

tn

MissFancyPants said...

Love the mantra and of course you and James matching outfits. can't wait to get your race report!

Kona Shelley said...

SUUUUURE Keep us hanging :)

Christi said...

That is a great mantra!

jc said...

love the morning mantra... you should ahve been saying it out loud in transition!

Libby said...

I LOVE this post and your mantra/attitude. I learn so much from yours and James' awesome attitudes! can't wait for the rest....

Jill Costantino said...

Super Congrats to you and the USA girls! Love the mantra! You guys look so cute too!

Rose said...

Love the quote! It's surprising what a good mantra (and visualization) can do for you. Congrats on a great race :)

Michelle said...

I'm going to have to borrow that mantra.....love it!

Running Bums said...

Love that mantra, "Be the ray", I will surely use that!