Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cyclist or Triathlete?

This weekend in Arizona has been awesome. Well, except for the fact that I feel like I'm 3rd wheel on the Pete and James man-date. And let me tell you, it's not going well! They bicker like two little old ladies and someone even almost got left at the truck stop. I've been enjoying it however, because I get to smooth things over, sit back and laugh, and also get to have both coach & husband along for the ride. It's been a rough road, but through it all, they still love each other. Especially when they found the truck with Pitbull on it. They've got some heavy International Love going on!

We love Pitbull! Especially after a drink or few!
One of many moments of love...Pinning on race number

The weekend was about James & Pete and I was along for the ride (And to ride...and run). They train for this stuff (this stuff being Valley of the Sun stage race) and it's important to them. James is really eager to move up a category (In bicycle racing there is cat 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for men and 1, 2, 3, 4 for women and everyone starts as a 4. Once you have a certain amount of race starts (or wins/points), you can apply to move up a category. They also make it confusing and add in a bunch of Juniors and masters categories and of course, the pro race. )Anyway, point being, James is working on moving up from a Category 5 so that he can race with his friends. I, on the other hand, am a Women's cat 4, but moving up is "whatever", and am really just racing for fun, but most importantly, trying to be a professional in triathlon.

Moving on....Day 1 is the time trial. Day 2 is the road race (46 miles for both James & I). Day 3 is the Criterium. The team agreed that I would do days 1 & 2 with the boys and then be a good triathlete and do my long run on Day 3 while they race so we could hit the road back to Cali in a timely manner. I loved this plan because I have visions of a crash you hear about in these crits and is it really worth it for me to risk my triathlon season on a bike race? I'm not diminishing the importance of a bike race for those that train for them (the fitness I witnessed this weekend was amazing!), but for me, my goal is triathlon. And anything that is in the way of that goal should be reconsidered. For my training, getting in my 90 minute run (instead of  a 25 minute crit) before a 7 hour car drive is the best thing for my training. The boys gave me one caveat: If I was in the lead for the Cat 4 women going into the crit, I would have to toe the line in the leaders jersey. I said we'd cross that bridge if it came up.....And dismissed it.

More tonigh (or tomorrow) on the races and the outcome... I know, I'm not a foreshadowing genius...Any guesses on what went down? I will tell you I ended up 2nd in the Time Trial, 4th in the Road Race, and that placed me 1st in the General Classification (GC) "going into" the crit. I had an 8-second lead on the field...


You think I did the crit? Or did I stick with my 90 minute run like a good triathlete?

10 comments:

Christi said...

The suspense is killing me!

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

..did the crit:)

GoBigGreen said...

Ha cat 4 crits are fine bc everyone is scared so I bet u did it and sat on the front so nobody took you out. Fun:)
But ya my only stitches and luckily no broken bones were in crits when dumb people did dumb things!

J.P. Patrick said...

Brick.

Steve said...

RUN is my vote!

Beth said...

Because there's no way you did both? :)

rr said...

I vote both but if you did, you're my freaking hero because crits are the scariest thing EVER!

sswoods61 said...

I think The Triathlete side of you won out over The Biker side of you. But I only know you from reading your (most awesome) blog...

Opi said...

Another vote for a brick!

Tracey Locher said...

Brick... once you go Tri, you never go back... (that is my story and I'm sticking to it!)