Friday, February 24, 2012

Week of "work"

Now that I'm officially working two jobs, I don't have to say I'm on "vacation" when I have time off of my school psychology job. I'm simply prioritizing job #2 - professional triathlete. Kind of like double majoring in college. (Not shockingly, I DID double major in college- French & Organizational Psychology withaminorinceramics . Yesreallyaminorinceramics.) I guess I have a history of what can be called either a) not making up my mind or b) trying to do it all. I'm kind of the living breathing Jack(ie)-of-all-trades-master-of-none. After all, I am a triathlete.

Moving on. This week I prioritized my second job. In 2011, I smashed myself good over February break. This years plan was a bit different. It didn't mean a whole heckuva lot more volume than normal, but it did mean time to focus on the things I feel I neglect when trying to focus on both jobs full time: recovery! On the recovery front,  I spent 30 minutes with my feet up after any hard workout, had an amazing sports massage with Simone, some much-needed A.R.T. with Dan, and even threw some yoga in there for good measure. With all this, I'm feeling like new today and ready for a fun weekend.

Of course I did train quite a bit this week. I spent plenty of time on the bike, surprised myself in some runs, and went to noon masters every day to swim in the sunshine.

Couser Canyon Ride - proof I'm not always off the back- I'm up there on the right!



Ramona ride. James + 3 ladies = Mr. Fix It! Mechanical #1 - Donna's chain suck situation. 
I enjoyed the view on Del Dios Highway while the above chain suck situation was going on 
Ramona ride mechanical #2- My flat. Thanks, babe :) 

Reovery Spin to Oceanside harbor with James- swimming here in 37 days for Oceanside 70.3! Holy moly. 
 Other than that, we enjoyed some team cooking. Ok, not so much team as James, but I did peel the beets and sprinkle the cheese!
Arugula salad with extra lean grass fed burger, roasted butternut squash & beets, avocado, red onion, and balsamic vinaigrette. 
And a few fun outings, including drinking bowling for coach Pete's birthday. I'm so terrible I think that my score was less than his age! 

The week has been awesome, but I wouldn't categorize it as relaxing. There is absolutely more fun in store this weekend! I'm off for a couple workouts, then am going to pack my bags and we're set to hit the dez again. I hear wedding bells! Time to mix "business" with pleasure. What are you up to this weekend? Mixing training with normal people fun?

7 comments:

Christi said...

I consider myself a "jack" of all trades as well and there is nothing wrong with that!

A nice lookin' week of relaxation!

Katie said...

I'm not sure, but I don't think I could be more jealous of your beautiful riding than I am right now! I need to move into warm mountains, yep yup!

JC said...

I had no idea you could take ceramics in Uni! You guys must have some pretty AMAZING bowls and statues and stuff around your place! Your week sounds so great. It's so pretty there. Enjoy the weekend.

MissFancyPants said...

salad looks awesome, I need to get out to Cali for a visit and to ride.

GoBigGreen said...

Everytime i bowl i end up with tennis elbow and sore glute. Then i switch hands and usually do just fine.
My normal people fun got me in trouble last weekend so no heels this weekend.

Alison said...

I was just down in San Diego last week and already miss the sunshine now that I'm back to the PNW rain... Enjoy!

Eva Siegel said...

If you are living active lifestyle, check out this blog: http://bit.ly/1tfpube. A lot of useful information about athlete training, diet plans, fitness programs and other important things for athletes, as well as for others who want to be fit.