Thursday, March 29, 2012

Accessorize!

Hot and heavy in the middle of race taper week and it's time to accessorize my Slice (and myself) for a 70.3 ...Over the past few years, I've figured out what works for me and my own preferences. Race day bike (& run!) accessories are very personal and depend on what distance you are racing and your own comfort (e.g. disc wheel or 808?, aero helmet or traditional?, bottles on the bike frame or bottles in front/behind?,  etc.......) SO many decisions. If you happen to be susceptible to decision paralysis like me, maybe I can help you and share some of what and why I do. 
My front & back end solutions. 
First, the bottles....For a 70.3, I'm starting with two bottles: One in between my aerobar extensions for easy drinking, and one behind my seat for backup. I like this setup because it is convenient for me and I think (definitely no expert but the people who help me are and I just listen) it's pretty "aero". I have no bottles on my actual bike frame. The front end bottle was set up for me by my friend Andrew at Beaker Concepts and he consulted with me on the whole situation. He's been around a LONG time (old man! haha) and I trust his expertise..He has this new little tiny gadget that attaches to a bottle holder that hovers above your aerobars yet leaves PLENTY of room for your forearms on the bars (something I've had a problem with with other front-end drinky things. I'll let you know when it gets to production- because I don't see it in his store yet. HURRY UP, ANDREW!

The back end....everyone's favorite ;
 On the back end, I use the Blaze from beaker concepts. I like the Blaze because it is fully adjustible, light, and has special spots for your Co2 or to attach tires. Also, James likes it because he deems it far easier to get on and off than other behind-the-seat thing-er-dy-doo holders I have used.

For a 70.3, I also accessorize the bike with a snack box on the front ;). I pour little treats in here (powerbar gel blasts, bar pieces) and can grab them easily on the move. 

Whooshka!
Oooh, can't forget the wheels. Having Race Day Wheels as a sponsor this year means I get to pick any Zipp wheel set for each race I do. If I want a disc, disc it is! For each race, I give it good consideration....and then 90% of the time settle on Zipp Firecrest Carbon Clinchers - a 404 front and 808 rear. Even with all the options Race Day Wheels gives me, I stick with this combo because a) it's fast, b) it's easy to handle, c) i like riding clinchers since i'm not as practiced with changing tubular tires, and d) it's fast ;) . Mark of RDW knows basically everything there is to know about wheel speed, combinations, and aerodynamics, and for ME, he almost always recommends this combo. For Oceanside, 404/808 is a great choice for the course because you will be faced with wind in all directions and a bunch of hills...For me, I'd choose a disc on a flatter course that had a more predictible headwind/tailwind type situation...

I also put on a brand new ISM Adamo Racing 2 Betty Designs saddle on- even saddles wear out after you've put thousands of miles on them. If you are having any issues, consider how long you've had yours on!

Shoe of choice: Zoot Ultra Tempo 5.0 - its a stability shoe that's light enough for racing but sturdy enough for the Oceanside course- 13.1 miles on mostly concrete- ew my calves just cringed!

And lastly, my good luck Betty Designs wristband...Okay, forget about the good luck, this thing is really for wiping the sweat and snot from my face so I can look super glam for finish line photos...

I hope this was helpful! And with that, I'm off for two more days of work, mini workouts, and the race-check in on Friday afternoon. I can't believe it's almost here! See you on Friday... xo, B

14 comments:

Katie said...

that is a gorgeous saddle! and love the pink bottles. good luck this weekend!

beth said...

Katie, The pink bottles are also Betty Desigsn...SO cute and they are the right size/construction that they don't fly out of my water bottle cages & launch. Its amazing how many different sizes/types of water bottles there are now...The traditional design works the best. Some things never change ;)

Steve said...

Good Luck and 'take names'!

goSonja said...

So much style you rock girl! Glam, yet Grrrr!! Love those bottles! You are soooo ready!!

MissFancyPants said...

Good luck this weekend! Your bike is soooo pretty!!

Born To Endure said...

Kick some butt!!!!

Alison said...

Enjoy the race!

Cathleen Knutson said...

No mention of the pre-race pedi?!! Good luck and have a great race!

Katie said...

You even balance style :) Very impressive! Good luck this weekend!

Rose said...

Whoohoo! See you out there!

Dolly said...

Good Luck racing tomorrow!

Chloe said...

I LOVE my ISM Adamo saddle. Best saddle ever! (Or- the best thing to put between your legs!) ;)

Good luck this weekend!

Rhona IntelliTri said...

Hope the race went well, look forward to reading your report. Love the pink bottles by the way....

Rosa Michelle said...

The blending of the colors looks gorgeous!