Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DETOUR!

You know how you spend hours constructing a race schedule, and then of course, you decide to change it all halfway through?
Well, the next few weeks I have added two races. Why not? When you're fit, ready, and the motivation is there, I think you should just hop on that train...

One of the race schedule additions is new to me: Wildflower long course triathlon- this Saturday!

 I can't believe that I live within driving distance of Wildflower and have never been to the so called "Woodstock" of triathlon. It's supposedly very hilly, very hard, and very fun. To be honest, I think I've skipped it for 3 reasons- 1) work, 2) camping (i love camping & i love racing, but not together...but, the race organization helps the pros with accommodations in cabins and such- how awesome is that? , and 3) I've always been a bit intimated by the tough course and competition. Whelp, not this year. I'm super excited for a little road trip and tri time this weekend. Hoping to report from the road, but guessing there is not much in the way of the internets around Lake San Antonio...



love me a calm lake swim...even if it smells like duck doo
The second race addition is one of my favorite local races of all time- The Orange County Triathlon on Sunday May 20th...It's an Olympic Distance race: 1500m swim in the calm waters of Lake Mission Viejo, 40k beautiful bike course with long fun rollers (reminiscint of the Queen K in Hawaii where I happen to be racing on June 2nd) , and an Xterra style run that's definitely not your typical 10k to finish it off. 







Maybe I love it because it is the first race I ever won- here's my race report from 2008- SO funny to look back! Love having a blog for this reason.  In 2009 I returned with some friends and again had a blast....


Me, Kristin, & Colleen post OC tri 2009....blast from the past! 



I'm stoked to return this year in 2012....If you want to join me, I just got an email- a ONE DAY SALE ALL DAY MAY 1st on Active.com - $20 if you use the code OCTRI-M1 and "like" the OC tri series on Facebook. Do it!!! Please!!! I need some friends- as of now I'm going solo and I don't want to eat bagels and watermelon alone at the finish line ;). I think at least ms Tawnee will be out there cheering or relaying or something... Here is the link for active.com....do it....

13 comments:

Beth said...

Good luck this weekend and beyond!!!! Sounds like an awesome race schedule! :)

Christi said...

Have a great weekend of racing!

Rachel said...

Calm lake swim? Wildflower was the hardest swim I've ever done. (well superfrog is a close contender) Relay wave was retardedly competitive and the rest was spent plowing through old women. Be GLAD you are a Pro and get a super early start time. Cooler temps also make for a more enjoyable day. Anyway don't count on an easy swim. The first buoy is like 25 yards after the start line. Right hand turn of craziness. Best of luck Beth...always cheering for u

beth said...

Haha- Rachel- sorry with my crappy formatting- the "calm lake swim" photo should be a part of the bit about the OC Tri- the photo is from lake mission viejo in 2009. Sorry!

Alison said...

Wildflower is killer hard - have a great time & enjoy!

rr said...

I just looked - if it weren't for that $1074 R/T airfare I'd come do OC with you. There's an oly here that weekend too, but they won't let me wear a wetsuit.

I love detours. Why the hell not? You'll tear that WF course up.

hailey said...

good luck with that reception! Lake San Antonio is notorious for nada...maybe a text. SO bummed to be missing it this year! Have fun!!

SSB said...

OC Tri is fun...even though the run is a bitch and the bike was hilly (despite what some dude named Ian told me)

idropboys said...

Have fun at WF!!! Love it there.....so wish I was going with you.

hillary biscay said...

YEAH! crush it!!
i am having severe Cougar Cabin FOMO already...

Colleen Walseth said...

you are going to kill the course on wildflower! my experience the swim was mellow, hilly ride and a run designed for you!! have fun B!! xoxo

Katie said...

good luck this weekend and HAVE FUN!

Katie said...

Good luck this weekend!