Sunday, June 17, 2012

rêve

In French, the verb "rêver" means "to dream". 

A few weeks ago I dreamed of racing Ironman France on June 24th. It was not in the plan, not on the schedule, and I can count the number of 5 hour rides I've done on my thumbs ;) .But I'm feeling fit! And I've been having this itch...The itch to travel and adventure and make the most out of my time as a professional triathlete. And also I got that little Ironman itch. The one I said I wouldn't scratch until at least September. Oh well, I was always one of those kids with scabs for weeks because I just couldn't be patient. Right, mom? Anyway, a few weeks ago, a podium finish at Hawaii 70.3 was just a "rêve"as well, but as that dream became reality, I was reminded  that I really can dream big and that you only get to live once. Hawaii had also been on the "maybe if I can afford it" list. And now that I made it happen, I was able to leave with no regrets.....and ready for another adventure. Life is short! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

My job as a school psychologist ended for the summer on Friday, June 15th and the timing seemed perfect....Ironman France...Could I make it happen?
Ok, I found this logo after I wrote the above. It's a sign, oui?  (translation: your dream starts here)

So, with a little hope, a little luck, a little summoning of the powers of "The Secret", and some amazing support from sponsors who believe in my dreams & the race organizers,  I found myself last week with a ticket to Nice, France! Bonjour Ironman France! People ask, "why?". I say, "why not?". 

I left work on Friday and nearly directly hopped on the plane for an 18-hour travel-fest. The trip started most perfectly when the ticket agent looked at my ginormous wheely bag and asked, "Is that a bike?" I replied, "It's fitness equipment for an expo". So, I didn't exactly lie (I never said it wasn't a bike). It IS fitness equipment...And I AM going to an expo, probably transporting myself there with that "fitness equipment". As I walked away from the ticket counter, happily only $30 poorer from baggage fees, I realized I was lucky my new hoodie hadn't given me away! 
Said hoody. Guess the ticket agent wasn't a cyclist!
The rest of the trip went smoothly and I arrived in Nice in the gorgeous, humid, salty-aired twighlight at 9pm the next night (It stays light SO late here!) . 

So, here I am, on the French Riviera, "acclimating" (re: sitting on the beach and exploring the town) for Ironman. The SoF (South of France, d'uh!) is everything I remember it being when I lived in nearby Aix-en-Provence in college. J'adore...

These pros (professional sunbathers I think) were good reminders to NOT forget my sunscreen. Funny, just as uber-bronzing is not dead in the SoF, apparently rollerblading is not either- I saw at least 50 rollerbladers today, some admittedly going faster than me on my bicycle.

My agenda for the next few days is that I have no agenda. For the first time in a year, I feel I have time to breath, to relax, to nap, to think, to. just. BE. And of course blog while drinking coffee at cute little sidewalk cafés (ok I'm actually in my bed right now, but maybe tomorrow) . Other than that, I've got nothing planned other than getting used to the 9 hour time change and perfecting my taper (which sadly means saving most of the crêpes, baguettes, fromage and wine until post-race.  But a glass or two never hurt. And maybe I just had a gelato...oh well... A Bientôt! 

14 comments:

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

love love love following your exciting adventure as a pro! mostly, love your attitude and way of just 'going for it' !

GoBigGreen said...

C'est Chouette! Awesome girl. Live your dreams:)

kb said...

I had no idea you lived there during college!!! Enjoy your "taper"!! Sounds perfect!! xoxo

Chloe said...

Love it! I went to college in Holland - and spent some quality time in Nice! JEALOUS! Have fun and enjoy living your dreams!

SixTwoThree said...

Un petite peu couldn't hurt :-) looking forward to your posts!

Bikes & Clothes said...

Have a great race and good luck you sound rested relaxed and ready to RAGE!!!

Reilly Winburn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reilly Winburn said...

just awesome

MissFancyPants said...

I am predicting you will do awesome! Lots of luck! Nice is beautiful!

Melissa Marie Head said...

Oh my gosh that is amazing! Enjoy every minute

Wassdoc said...

Inspirational blog! Now that Lance isn't racing France, I still have someone to follow on race day:). Enjoy the experience, the moment, and you will do your best!

Tracey Locher said...

What an amazing opportunity! Love, live, laugh, and race! You're doing it all! Can't wait to read all about this adventure!

KALeigh said...

I LOVE Nice...I worked the Cannes Boat Show a couple years ago, hence arriving via Nice, and my sister in law is from Megeve (French Apls), but her family is from Nice (she was born in that big hospital ala Angelina Jolie's twins). Good luck and man, I do miss the French Rivieria....Nice is amazing. And I totally know what you mean by the Rollerbladers on the path by the beach! You go get em!!

Katie said...

Love that you jumped on this adventure! Race strong, my friend!