Saturday, July 14, 2012

The PNW

This trip for Lake Stevens 70.3 is actually my first ever visit to the Pacific northwest. The trip is also special due to the presence of my entire east coast fan base (Dad & stepmom) who are here for some spectating and R&R. I'm sitting here on the coach with Dad right now, drinking local coffee, watching the last 30k of the TdF, and looking out over foggy Puget sound. (It's actually so foggy that I'm thinking I  need to factor this into tomorrow's race.. Also the forecasted high is just 64 degrees so I might need to consider some arm warmers tomorrow as well).

Today we're going to do some pre-race shakeouts, drive the bike course, and do all the logistical hoo hoo (which means not enough relaxing, but I'll try to find it somewhere)....I'm picking up my bike at Tri Bike Transport and am SO thankful that I don't need to worry about putting it all together and I know it will be here safe & sounds.

AND...we're back. It's now 9pm and the day was very full of the aformentioned pre race hoo hoo and now it's time for bed because 4am is just 'round the corner...We had a lovely dinner on the deck with the Fam, James, Keith, Jordan & Rich and we're all tired and happy.

[This is the spot where the sunset photo from the deck is supposed to be but it wont upload...and I need to get to bed....]


Bike course....

Shakeout run....


Here's what I can say about the course- the swim course is quite tranquil....Easy to navigate and calm and warm, but we may deal with some fog. The bike course is much more technical than I imagined and if we have wet roads it might get a little dicey. We drove the course and then rode the last 20 miles...Got 1700 feet of climbing in the last 20 miles so there is for sure some good up and down...The run appears to be flattish and is a 2 loop figure eight which means I get to see my parents many times! Hopefully I'll have a smile for them....


Good Night!

2 comments:

JC said...

Kick some BOOTAY!

Beth said...

I hope you love the PNW, have a great race!