Thursday, July 12, 2012

Up Next!

Right now I'm having fun looking at the road right in front of me as well as the road a little ways down...

I've already been getting planning emails about this year's Kona underpants run which is obviously my "A" race of the year. This year will include a little more sparkle and a lot more charity...Betty Designs & Wattie Ink are aligning for a good cause (Although cause for me to actually do some crunches and underpants run "training" is good enough, eh?) . [If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the Underpants Run is held in October 2 days before the Ironman World Championships in Kona, HI and was originally started as a way for athletes to joke around and blow off steam before the big event, but has morphed into something big.]
Last year's Betty/Wattie crew...

As of now, I will be in Kona come October, but this year as a spectator and doing some work for one of my sponsors. I'm pretty excited about this as I've never stood on the sidelines there and have always been jealous of those going to the "TGINR" (Thank God I'm Not Racing) party the night before the race.

But, then I started to get FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) of not racing Kona this year. Two days ago, I accidentally looked at the professional Kona Points Ranking and realized that with one more high points Ironman, I actually have good shot at qualifying for Kona (as IM France gave me some solid points and 70.3s count a bit as well). And well IM NYC on 8/19 fits that bill perfecty....

BUT, I needed to revisit my goals for the year which do not include Kona. Kona 2013 IS on the plate and I'm want to be at the point by then where I can be a competitive contender. If I went this year, I'd just be running the race. Instead, I'm going to continue my 2012 70.3 focus (that was briefly derailed by IM France) and finish 2012 with a late season Ironman to start my points quest for 2013. [for those not entrenched in Ironman: As a professional, each race is worth a certain amount of points depending on your finish position. At the end of the summer, the top 25 females earn qualifying slots to Las Vegas 70.3 Worlds and Ironman World Championships (2 separate lists with 2 different qualifying criteria).]


So...What's next next?

I put in one solid week of training post IM France recovery and now am attempting to freshen up a bit going into this weekend's Lake Stevens 70.3 outside Seattle, WA...
Spent a lot of time training with Katya, hatching a business plan you may hear about soon ;) 


After Lake Stevens, I've got Boulder 70.3 on the horizon. Racing hard at altitude should be fun. I've always wanted to know what it's like to breathe through a straw while swimming hard!

After Boulder, we'll see if I qualify for 70.3 Worlds (I need these 2 races to move me up in the points ranking since I only have 2 ranked races right now and they count up to 5 races). If I qualify, then I'll need to decide if I want to head to 70.3 Worlds and compete against the best of the best in a World Championship event (Fun!) or head to Ironman Wisconsin and try to get myself on an Ironman Podium (that's fun too!)


Sorry this post is more like choose your own adventure and hypothetical babble ("if this happens, then this will happen, but what if i did this instead?...blah blah blah..." But, c'est la vie de points chasers and wanted to let you know where I'm at.

Happy Thursday! Time for a Trainer workout while I finish watching this big Alps stage on the Tour de France!

6 comments:

JC said...

choose your own adventures were ALWAYS the best books and never the same ending. ENJOY! Kick some bootay at Lake Stevens. WOOHOO!

Benjamin said...

As a European, I've always been told the underpants run was to mock all the Europeans walking around in their speedos, but obviously your version is much better :)

GZ said...

Hope to see you in Boulder!

SixTwoThree said...

Okay, I haven't been this excited about points scenarios since cyclocross season. Have a great race you guys! Virtual cheer from Seal Beach!

SixTwoThree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GoBigGreen said...

Oh you totally have to come to Wisconsin and come to the skirt sports meetup with me and HB