Monday, August 6, 2012

Training camp update!

Boulder training camp has been far more successful than I had imagined thanks to my new training partners, adopted "family", and the incredible training out here. Yes, in San Diego, we can head out the door any time of year and find some good training. But, in San Diego, you need to have lots of time (for stoplights and traffic) and a good idea of where you are going. In Boulder, it's a lot more simple and self-explanatory. There are endless flats and endless climbs and beautiful well-paved roads every which way you turn. There are at least 8 or 10 pools in town and master's swims at almost any hour of the day. Yesterday, I ran 20 miles on the trail system around the Boulder reservoir (thanks Amanada!) without having to plan some crazy loop as would be the case in San Diego. All this, and the town is filled with lovely people athletes who don't mind me tagging along. Training with Kerrie, Glen, Amanda, Courtenay, and Ana Lidia (a brazilian pro) has been a really positive environment and it's always nice to have new people to catch up (and gossip) with. 
Tough ladies! Pre tempo-run with Courtenay & Amanda 
9 miles later after Mrs. Lovato smashed us up :)



To top it off, the actual workouts & training results have been better than I expected and I am feeling pretty fit, energized, and ready for my next couple of races. Putting in a few solid weeks of base training has worked really well and I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. I had a 7-hour brick on Saturday (115 mile ride in the mountains with a 5 mile ROB (run off bike ;) and I never had a real low spot. Just a solid day where I felt as good at the end as I did at the beginning.
Big day Saturday! Bumped into Heather & Wattie as well!
Ana Lidia, Dirty G $, & Amanda outside Estes Park
Surprisingly, I feel I'm adapting really well to the altitude here. I definitely take longer to recover from really hard efforts, but when I keep things in a steady/endurance zone, I feel pretty similar to my performance at sea level. I'm hoping this altitude training pays off when I come down to sea level to race at Timberman 70.3 in 2 weeks. We shall see!

Other than that, I got to witness the amazing performances at Boulder 70.3 yesterday and had a blast heckling cheering for athletes on the run course. It was HOT out there, but people posted some incredible times and it was neat to be on the other side for once.

I'm probably leaving Boulder in a couple of days, but am tempted to stay through the weekend- I just love it here. I can't believe I go back to work in exactly 2 weeks...Where did the summer go? Hopefully to a lot of deposits in the fitness bank!

P.S. Kerrie even has Recovery Pump boots I get to wear every day while I'm lazy between training....life is tough!

1 comment:

GoBigGreen said...

Woohoo, the savings account will be full and ready for some spending in Madison:)