Monday, October 29, 2012

Austin 70.3

Let's do this a little differently.


Results: 10th of 20 pro women. 4 hours 34 minutes. Results here

The Good
  • My nutrition was perfect! Bike: 3/4 bottle Skratchlabs (60 cal) [Just drank water otherwise], one Bonk Breaker (250), One pack of Gu Chomps (190), 2 Gus (200) (I go for 1 Jet Blackberry, 1 Peanut Butter...like a PB&J ;) ...Total: About 700 calories. Run: 1/2 pack Gu Chomps (90), 1 Gu (100), some coke... Maybe 400 calories. So basically, I load up on the bike and then ease up on the run
  • I ran a 1:22 which was the fastest female run split of the day. The run is good to go. I feel like I have my run training dialed and it's not too complicated or crazy. Just maintain until IM Cozumel. 
  • Me & Princess Jess at the finish (you finish inside a Rodeo barn which is interesting! ) 
  • Since the pro field was stacked, this meant seeing A LOT more friends out on the run course. I loved cheering for some of my favorite girls: Beth Shutt, Jess Smith, Charisa Wernick, Rachel Challis, Elizabeth Lyles... 
  • And Keith Butsko, my go to training partner at home cruised in for a cool 4:04 and 7th overall/top amateur. It's pro card time, Butsko!
Keith & I at the finish. Hey Keith- I think you owe your run coach a beer . 
  • Lap 1 of the run I ran "ok". Lap 2, Ian Mikelson & Thomas Gerlach blazed by me all of a sudden. I had a choice and decided to take a risk. They were running 5:55 - 6:00 miles and I decided to join them for a mile, then 2....then 4. It. was. awesome. Ian cruised in for his finish and I started lap 3 alone. They definitely gave me a huge boost and remind me how much running "tactics" can matter. 
  • The water was warm and a nice temperature. 
  • my DAD, the one & only Dr. G, was there to cheer me on and I got to spend some quality time with him this weekend. I love my Dad more than possibly anyone in the world and whenever I'm around him (and also when I'm not, I guess), I constantly think how lucky I am to have such a cool, fun, easygoing and supportive father. I'm his #1 fan although sometimes in my pre-race stress I forget to show it. 
Post race dinner date at Lambert's with Dr. G. Had to replenish my electorlytes/salt stores 
The Bad (going to keep these to a minimum because I'm not interested in wah wah wah-ing myself through this race report but I do want to keep my learning experiences so eventually hopefully I may learn from them.)
  • Oh dear. My bike ride was not impressive. Just didn't have it today. Started out ok, but with temperatures in the low 40s all morning, despite taking time for arm warmers & gloves, I was still cold and for some reason have trouble keeping my heart rate and effort level up when that happens. I started w/ my HR in the 160s and after 20 miles could barely keep it in the 140s...
  • Made some dumb mistakes in the swim. Put my googgles over my cap and I guess they didn't seal properly because one eye was over the plastic of the cap on my forehead (you following me here?). Anyway. They filled up with water, oh, about 20 times. Good times. And I wore a pair I had never openwater swum (?) with and had some crazy fog/lenses too dark and couldn't even see the feet or caps less than 2 feet away from me let alone the buoys. Total rookie mistake. Not happening again. I was about 30-45 seconds behind a solid pack of girls. Need to stay with them. 
Pro swim start in Lake Walter E. Long
  • Dear Austin, WARM UP! That is all. Low 40s on race day made 

The Takeaways 
  • My run is there. Time for some #headdownwattsup the next 3 weeks for Ironman Cozumel. The thing about my riding is that sometimes it's there, or closer at least. I have ridden well in some races this year (Hawaii 70.3, Timberman 70.3, Ironman Wisconsin)...just haven't figured out exactly what makes some good days and some "off" days. I'm going to work on this. And try to consult with some folks about an approach until Cozumel. 
  • Even more motivated now for a seriously winter cycling focus and to finally (after what will be 8 months self-coached) work with someone I believe can help me become a cyclist. I have 2 people in mind and I'm hoping one of them will be up for a "challenge" ;). 
  • Practice open water swimming with your race goggles. Seriously. 
  • I'd say that I need to do some more open water swimming, but with the recent shark attacks in SoCal and the really cold water in the Pacific, this is just not going to happen in November in Cali. But, I'm not giving up on the pool. You hear me? Even though it seems I'm not getting any better, I'm still going to put in the yards six days a week and I know that one day it will come together. 
  • No matter what, even on a bad day, I love being out on the run course and cheering for  friends (even when they are beating me). I love talking to people after the race and hearing about their highs and lows. I love feeling like I gave what I had on that day, even when what I had wasn't awesome or what I had hoped for. I love looking on the bright side and planning how to be better and believing I can get there. I know I'm such a geek for triathlon, but if you don't love it, why do it? #Livewhatyoulove , right? 
Thank you to all of my supporters and sponsors. Rehab United was integral in making my Austin trip happen so a big super thank you to Bryan, my friend and supporter- THANK YOU!
2012 isn't wrapped up yet and I'm looking forward to a fun finish, Mexico style! 
Thank you to Zoot for taking on the local girl and supplying the best gear & shoes out there. Raced for the first time in the Ovwa 2.0s and they carried me to another fastest ladies run split- couldn't do it without the shoes. seriosuly.  Cannondale- my Slice is the perfect ride decked in SRAM, & Race Day Wheels ,and my SRM powermeter.. Thanks to Nytro for keeping it all in working, blinging' order (Russ, Chris & Matt are my heroes... Thank you to them for being my "bike fairy", I know I'm high maintenance. Thanks to Studeo DNA for my bike fit & so much more. Thanks to Sonja at Zipp for the whomp whomp Super 9! Thank you to Tri Bike Transport for getting my bike here so nice and easy and for taking it off my hands right after the race- no better feeling!!! 
*Thank you to  Dan SelstadRehab United, & MRM for helping me build my chassis, recover quickly and stay healthy-.I use so many MRM products, but I couldn't function without my Hydration Factor & Reload. Rehab United- functional strength 2x/ week, ART with Selstad every other week...the secret sauce! 
*Many gracias also to ISM saddlesBetty Designs, & Beaker Concepts  for making sure I'm comfortable, stylish & fast. I never race without my Adamo racing 2, my betty designs wrist band or my Beaker Concepts Blaze. 

10 comments:

Beth said...

So great seeing you out on the course!! Congrats on that awesome run again. I know it won't be long before your bike is consistenly just as awesome!!

Teresa said...

Love your attitude. That bike ride sounds like mine at Lake Stevens....was freezing and HR was so LOW!!
So excited for your ironman and for 2013!

Great work!

tn

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS said...

Come do some OWS's with me in Laguna! Sooo nice and not scary at all. Water is still pretty warm I think. And sharks hate Laguna Beach from what I heard ;)

Tracy said...

Nice job on a killer run again! Keep your head up the rest will fall into place. It's been so fun following you through your pro year.....have a blast &I kill it in Cozumel:-)
Tracy Robertson

JC said...

You ROCK! Great attitude. Awesome that your Dad came to the race - SOOOO COOL! Maybe you should come here and swim at the "wave pool" LOL! SUPER congrats.

Thomas Gerlach said...

Beth, Thanks for the shout out. It was great to have you running with us. Very inspiring!!! Good luck at Coz!!

-TG

Thomas Gerlach
Professional Triathlete
www.thomasgerlach.com

idropboys said...

Winter bike miles I am in!!!! Let's roll...

I'll swim anytime - seriously before IM Cozy- water is not too cold and we can knock out a few cove-shores-cove swims non stop tempo effort-

Pton98 said...

I wouldn't get too down about that bike split. Unless they have re-paved a bunch of that course, staying upright on the chipseal was tough enough. I remember feeling like I had been shaken to death about 2 hours into the ride last year.

SixTwoThree said...

First a big shout out and congrats to Keith! Woo-hoo that's so cool! Glad you got some quality time with your dad. If you really don't want to go in the open, open water, I trained in the Back Bay in Newport Dunes with my Fearless Swimming group last winter. The winter water was actually surprisingly clear. And it helped my adapt to the colder conditions for Oceanside. My instructor, Ingrid Loos Miller, might be a good training partner for you too! Think she's doing Cozumel as well.

GoBigGreen said...

Hey good run and race! Really your first year has been so fun to follow, and it seems like its been fun for you to race as well.
You are welcome to come to MN for some winter riding, I have lots of gear, we wont even recognize you in all the clothing and face covers, and chemical heat warmers. Tee Hee.
Glad you saw your dad. Go Big Green!