Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Coming home...

Nothing beats coming home. With the craziness and destruction of Hurricane Sandy on the east coast, I felt even luckier to return (on time) home to north county San Diego. Too bad my poor Dad wasn't so lucky and his flight back to Philadelphia was (obviously) cancelled. He got to enjoy a little bit more of Austin, but I wish I could have stayed with him.

I flew home Monday afternoon in time for a sunset spin on the coast to clear my mind and my legs.

home


Tuesday morning I woke up at 5am to head to masters swim. I was feeling kind of lame & unmotivated  since I swam so poorly in Austin, but my favorite lane mates (John & Kiernan) were wasting time waiting on deck and made me feel not so bad about myself. They're not triathletes, John & Kiernan are swimmer swimmers. Very good ones. They only swim in lane 2 (1:20) base (as opposed to 1:15 base lane 1) because they are lazy and just trying to keep in shape and they like to sit on the wall for 20 seconds every interval.. Haha...I hope they read this. Anyway, I'm the opposite and I only swim in lane 2 because I'm desperately trying to fake that I'm a fast swimmer and hope it rubs off one day. When, truth be told, I belong in lane 3. But, so long as I'm eeking out the intervals and they let me stay, I'll stay. No matter if John & Kiernan are hanging out on the wall for 45 seconds after a 400, I'll get there in time for the next sendoff. Anyway, they (and everyone else at the pool) are one of the reasons I love coming home. Not because they congratulate me on my races (even when there is not so much to congratulate), but because day in and day out they are there and they don't seem to mind that I am just always hanging off the back and squeaking by. When the interval is tight, they let me start right on their toes so I kind of get a "free" 25 until we flip turn and they get oh, about 10 yards on me in 5 seconds since my flip turns look like what happens when you get tumbled by a wave in the ocean. Anyway, I don't think they (or coach Patty or coach Hux or Jane or Susan or any of the other people I love to see at the pool) realize how much they help me just keep swimming along and dragging my butt out of bed every day.

Anyhow, this was all just to say that its not all about the sunshine and sunsets around here. There is so much more that always reminds me that there's no place like home.

4 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Oh trust me when its cold and dark, the only thing that gets me out of bed to swim is my lanemates. Totally a great post:) Glad you got home safely.

The Suffer Seeker said...

Swim speed often seems like flexibility to me. The fortunate are just born with a whole bunch of it, while the rest of us work hard, day after day, to earn every little bit.

cheryl said...

Training partners are the best people. Youare having an awesome year, hope Cozumel is a great trip and race for you!

MissFancyPants said...

It's fun having training partners outside the "tri" world :) Can't wait to hear about Cozumel, it's on the bucket list