Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kona 2012 short & sweet

Note to self: 4 days in Hawaii is not enough! In case you were busy, over the first two days, we had a fine time at the underpants run and then rode the entire Ironman course to Hawi. I felt like the whole trip was kind of difficult to balance training with all of the spectating and hanging out with the folks I only get to see at races. Being 6 weeks out from Ironman Cozumel, I knew I had to log some training miles & be serious, but wanted to also maximize the non-training good times. Basically, I don't think I ever really sat down unless it was to eat (and the eating was GOOD! Poke, acai bowls, sushi, Lava Java coffee & oat bran muffins, fish tacos, and maybe a Pina Colada "lunch" or two).

Saturday was the big show. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally spectate the World Champs. And it completely lived up to expectations.
Ironman swim start. Nothing like it. Photo by Thierry Sourbier
I stayed in town for the most part- watched the swim, went on a 2:30 run - Did the first half with Amanda and then swapped 'er out for the Cannondale guys. Lots of miles hoofed on Ali'i drive that day while the bike portion of the Ironman was underway.
Lonely road to Hawi- Photo by Thierry Sourbier
Later on, I took my (well, Cody's) bike out to the Queen K to watch the suffering in person during the back half of the marathon. It's amazingly quiet out there and I got a chance to see and cheer for many of my faves- Sarah P., Linsey, Reilly, Kelly, Jen S. and others as they climbed out of the energy lab and started the final 10k trek back down to Ali'i drive. The race was a tough, hot day with a super windy bike and it was truly impressive just to witness the fitness.
Female Ironman (AND 70.3) World Champ 2012: Leanda Cave

Although I want to race there next year, it looked so tough that I certainly didn't have any race envy watching them the last hour of that thing. Wow. And the midnight finish...spectacular. Nothing like it.

The rest of the weekend is kind of a blur. I managed to meet up with a bunch of friends but still there were a few more I really wanted to see but saw hardly at all (Kerrie, Sue & Chloe, Hailey, Sarah), making me wish for even just one more on the island. Sunday night, we met up with Hillary & Samantha for a final dinner and it was such a buzzkill to tear myself away from the margs and head to the airport for the long red eye back to Monday morning work. I'm already looking forward to my next Hawaiian adventure which will hopefully be at Honu 70.3 in June.

A big thanks to Cody for not only putting me up for the weekend in his beautiful house, but for loaning me his bike to cruise around and for helping me out in every way possible (and you too, Tati!) . I feel so fortunate to have met you!

3 comments:

R said...

Sounds awesome. One of these days I'm going to go out there for the midnight finish.

JC said...

So Awesome and YOU will be there next year!

Allan Murray said...

Looking forward to visit California. Brilliant blog.


vacation rentals cottages north coast