Friday, October 12, 2012

Monkeying around in #KONA



I was lucky enough to make my way to the Big Island for som big spectating at the Superbowl of triathlon this weekend- the Ironman World Championships. Next year, I'll be on the start line (explicit use of The Secret, exhibit A), but this year I'm happy to cheer, train, and do all of the things you can't do when you're racing this Ironman thing.

So far, it's been a lot of catching up with friends, some solid training, and of course, the Underpants run. This year, our "Team" raised money for Hawaiian charities by charging folks $ to take a photo with us. Is that so wrong?

Thursday started with the Underpants run....


Kristin, Angi, Rachel, Caleigh, Me, Laura, Donna
Then a quick ride and done in time for coffee catch up (ok gossip & scone eating session) with Hillary and Rachel - two of my favorite reasons I love going to races (because I get to see them!)

Parking lot documentation of H&R rendezvous. 

And finished with a Zoot photo shoot out in the Energy Lab


Friday, Tatiana and I headed out to ride the Ironman course. The first 90 miles were awesome. The last 20, not so much. A borrowed road bike that doesn't quite fit, a flat tire, and a stiff headwind are not ideal in hour #6 of a ride. But onwards we rode.




Hawaiian #ridesnack Tempura shrimp handroll at mile 85
 Tomorrow is the BIG DAY! I can't wait to watch my friends shine and am hoping especially for an amazing day from my favorite American girls Linsey, Meredith, Sarah P., Hailey, and Kelly. I am getting 3rd party butterflies just typing this! (Edit: And Kerrie! How could I forget that lady? She's unforgettable! watch out for her pac-man-ing ladies on the run)...oh, and sonja and michelle, and everyone else I forgot....oh jeez.)