Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stay Strong

I'll be the first to admit I'm having a tough time adjusting to the "fall" after our seemingly endless SoCal summer. Squeezing in my runs before sunset at 4:45 pm and heading out on the bike for 40 degree mornings is not my cup of tea (mmmm....tea...maybe I should stay inside and drink some 'stead of heading out to ride now). Luckily, I'm less than 2 weeks away from my final race of the season- Ironman Cozumel. I'm ready, time to finish strong. In fact, I wish it was this weekend.

I might be so excited for Coz that I already packed. One week before I leave.

Okay- that super early pack job was 50% excitement, 50% "If I pack this now then I won't wear it and have to do laundry again"...

Although most of my training partners are entrenched in "off season" mode, I've been lucky to have company for the most part because my friends all just like to ride.
look at me...trying to lead the charge ;)
Even if they are all trying to slack & stop for pancakes (or hot dogs) & coffee & I'm trying to be all serious.
not to mention Mr. B who brings Poptarts & cupcakes on every ride to share. (no joke- today he brought funfetti cupcakes with Poptarts baked INSIDE. How can you say no?)
Rocket fuel? Mitch followed that hot dogger up with a sleeve of powdered donuts. Nutritional execllence lessons by Mr. Hall
Other than that, just been hanging around doing the usual....Work, workouts, and as always, functional strength at Rehab United twice per week.
I swear I go  to Rehab United for the workout, not just to gossip with these 3 (Courtney, Andrea, Katya
As I simmer down and put the lid on for the last race of the season, I am extremely thankful to my Rehab United family for keeping me in working order all season long (along with Dan Selstad my ART hero). Bryan & Lisa at RU have kept me strong and injury free throughout my entire first pro season- and from watching others, I know that this is definitely not something to take for granted. If you're bored (I mean really bored- it's pretty long) the Tri Club of San Diego just put out an article that you can download here on me and how I got involved in the sport and some of the things that keep me progressing. Not surprisingly, I talked about RU a lot. So....as you head into your own version of an off season and think about how you can be a better athlete in 2013, consider a consistent functional strength program- not only to make you stronger, but to make you healthy and able to complete your workouts....

8 comments:

Molly said...

I'm so glad I finished my last big race earlier this year (after several years of doing IM AZ and training through the fall). Good luck at Coz! I hope you kill it!!!

Aleena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Edward Franklin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GoBigGreen said...

Good Luck Beth! And seriously I would have poked my eyes out training for a late fall IM, then again i live in the tundra but i get your point. Enjoy the last one and drink some 'ritas when you are done. I Want a good race report bc i may sign up ( and poke my eyes out) in 2013

thepumpkinsdiary said...

GOOD LUCK next weekend Beth! I'm not a fan of the early sunsets either. I am, however, a fan of core classes! Enjoy Cozumel with your mom. :)

Asia said...

See you on the course! Then I need a picture with the podium finisher :)

Alison said...

Have a great race in Cozumel and enjoy the post-race holiday!

elizabeth said...

Ha ha, 40 degrees sounds perfect for running, but too cold for biking. It was 10 degrees on my run today, but I was warm. Hope you enjoyed the warmth in Cozumel.