Sunday, June 23, 2013

Dream Big

I'm not one to harp over New Year's resolutions.. Except this year, because I resolved to make three very important things happen and wrote them down in my first blog of the year. My resolutions are "simple":

Find Peace.
Give Love.
Dream Big.

In doing my best to truly live these three resolutions each day, I feel very much on the path to becoming the best version of myself, something I have longed to be for a while.

Today I'm revisiting my "Dream Big" goal. I've noticed in life, that I am the most fulfilled when I step off of the beaten path, take risks and really go for it. That is "me". Playing it safe, hedging my bets, and maintaining the status quo have never been things that keep me happy or make me feel alive. Sometimes, I fall flat on my ass. More often, I think, "Why didn't I go for it sooner?" One of my favorite quotes is, "I find that the harder I work, the luckier I get." I know myself. I work hard at whatever I set my mind to and am passionate about.
you may know what i'm about to tell you if you happened to read this article in Freeplay Magazine
My big dreams this year have included giving a true stab at becoming a professional triathlete, starting an endurance coaching business, and traveling the world to race. I've already raced in Mexico and Australia in 2013 and I'm pretty sure there is more to come. I launched rêve endurance and have been coaching some incredible athletes of all levels around the world (Hi hi hi to K in Australia- my furthest athlete!).

The other part (becoming a true professional triathlete) was even more of a big dream, one that involves a lot of potential risk. I spent 8 years of higher education (4 years undergrad + 4 years of grad school) to become a School Psychologist. I love my job. I've invested a lot in my work, my school, and my school community. I love the people I work with. But, I have a dream right now that can't be fulfilled while giving 75% (okay, maybe 60%) of my energy to my school psychology position.

Back in March, I went "all in" and wrote to the Board of Directors of my school district, talked with my bosses, and formally requested a 1 to 2 year Leave of Absence. A Leave of Absence means that my position in the district is guaranteed to me upon my return, but until then- I'm on my own- so no, I don't get paid by them to not work. In April, I got news that my request was granted and what meant even more was to have the encouragement and support of my Principal and co-workers... Following your dream to be a professional athlete and race around the world for a year or 2? Not something you can put a price on. The district worked on hiring a new "me" to fill my position, and on June 20th 2013, I closed the door to my office for at least a 15 months.

So yeah, operation Dream Big in full effect.

As for Finding Peace and Giving Love- both are falling into place....I'm realizing something with goals...you need to find ones that have true real meaning for you, and then breathe them every day. In and out, day after day, making a commitment to staying true to them (write them, think them, be them).. And then, if you're "lucky" (remember how we get "lucky"), you may be closer to those goals than you ever imagined.

P.s. I wasn't able to take any more new athletes through rêve endurance the past couple months because of my crazy training/work/coaching schedule, but now I'm excited to open up 4 more spots for athletes interested in individualized triathlon (or running) coaching as I'm a bit more free these days. Check out www.reveendurance.com or contact me at bethgerdes1@gmaildotcom if you have any questions or are interested in your own big dreams. the french verb rêver, does mean "to dream" after all.

14 comments:

Beth said...

Congrats on going for it Beth!!! I'm excited to see where life will take you! :)

Damie said...

I think you deserve a huge congratulations. I am glad they granted you that leave, and I don't think you will ever regret stepping away and going for it. Have a great year, and enjoy!!!!

Katie said...

I was wondering if your plan had changed from the Freeplay article. I'm glad to read you are still planning on going all in. Huge congrats and enjoy these next two years!

kerensamarie said...

I love love love this and not just because I get a shout out ;) cashing in your chips and putting it all on red will lead you on the most amazing journey....and maybe another trip to Oz!!! x

Kate B said...

I love hearing about people making their dreams happen! Good for you. You asked, you got it. And you totally deserve it. Best of luck and keep posting those pics on Instagram! They're my inspiration. :)

Courtenay said...

So this means you can spend all kinds of time in Boulder right?!

Alison said...

Congrats! That is really exciting and I'm sure following your dreams will pay off, big time!

JC said...

That is so fantastic. What a great time in your life like right now. How awesome is this for you. Huge congrats on making those big dreams your reality. Cheers to that Chica

SixTwoThree said...

I'm so happy for you! This sounds like an amazing opportunity that truly honors you as an athlete. And what a great example to set for the kids you'll continue to counsel and guide later! You continue to amaze me :-)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I think you are absolutely awesome for following your dreams!! There are not too many people who have the balls to do that. I had a career change about a year ago, and what motivated me was that I didn't want to look back at 60 years old and regret that I didn't do the things that I loved and motivated me. Lots of luck to you!!! ;)

David Jewell said...

Let's get that run in soon.

Wassdoc said...

Congratulations! I look forward to continuing to follow along on your journey! Dreaming is good!

FitnessFatale said...

Good for you for taking that leap! I know you won't regret it!!!

Social Check said...

Blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here! it is very informative for the Sport personals. I enjoyed reading this post. Search for Body Composition Testing i have some information for you I could attain my fitness goal within 10 weeks. check how.