Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The other side of the world...



After a few days in North Queensland, Australia, I can't believe that I even thought about not taking this trip for Ironman Cairns. You can't put a pricetag on life exeriences and I feel lucky that I sometimes ignore common sense and practicality in favor of the unknown or risky choice.


The travel day(s) to Port Douglas, Australia were quite the long haul... I think Thursday morning in San Diego, I woke up, went to masters swim, went to work, had a jog, drove 2 hrs to LA, caught the plane to Sydney (15 hrs), transferred terminals, caught another plane to Cairns , Australia (3hrs) , then drove up to Port Douglas the day before the Coral Coast 5150 (Olympic Distance Triathlon).
you...are here.... (see the Star at the top!)

first proper coffee in Australia: Sydney airport
As for that 5150....I thought I'd come out okay, but I definitely struggled to stay afloat in that one. My legs felt like absolute junk, but I kept the head down and the feet going in the name of a good training day for Ironman Cairns on June 9th. I ended up 5th place pro woman for a little paycheck. The entire 10k run was on this beach, so I had nothing to complain about (other that having to run 10k on the sand).

5150 run course...
The day after the race, I lucked out and joined a bunch of the athletes and race organizers for a sail out to the great barrier reef.
floating near a deserted Island

Emma Moffat at the wheel

feeding prawns to reef sharks

Another weekend adventure included a walk through the Daintree rain forest and a dip in the cold pools at Mossman Gorge
Mossman Gorge...Daintree



 After the weekend, I've just been spending some time training, tapering, coffeeing and exploring Port Douglas. I head down to Cairns tomorrow and the Ironman weekend begins!






Country road outside Port Douglas

Yes- this is the Ironman bike course....



Port Douglas morning routine: Sunrise &....




COFFEE!


9 comments:

Beth said...

What an amazing experience! Have a great race Beth!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Beautiful! Good luck, Beth!

JC said...

It looks breath taking there! Show those biatches how it's done on Sunday (okay so they are all probably really nice people) BUT lay it down Chica!

Julie Dunkle said...

Hugs from San Diego!!! Sending you fast swimming arms, strong cycling leg and well you got the run

FitnessFatale said...

Looks amazing! What a great choice to to go out there! Good luck this weekend!

Sara said...

Sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear about your race, good luck and most importantly enjoy the experience!

MissFancyPants said...

Exciting - definitely on my bucket list! Have a great time exploring and racing!

sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
How does a triathlon work

vabna islam said...

Excellent blog you’ve got here. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site.
Starting out in triathlons