Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Step away from the shovel!

I started this blog before I'd ever done a triathlon, when I just bought my first bicycle. I've always loved detailing my personal experiences with the good times, and also the bad. As I've grown up in this sport over the past few years, I now sometimes have a little voice in the back of my head that says, "you're a professional now... make sure to think about how something you write may look to your sponsors who want to see you on top of the podium...don't show too much weakness to the competition...blah blah blah.." But the fact is, I believe that some of the reason I have sponsors is because I'm not all about sugar coating the reality or spurting out the same, "Oh yay! Progress! Things are headed in the right direction! " I think my supporters appreciate that I can relate to someone just starting in the sport as much as I can relate to an elite athlete. I want my blog to be a true look at how I'm trying to go from good to great, and it's not always just a linear curve. I truly believe my sponsors and supporters like and even value that it's not always sunshine and roses, but it's  trial and error, triumphs and failures, and at the end of the day, it's gritty hard work and learning from your mistakes and moving on.
So, that's my long winded way of saying....I'm keeping it real. Without further ado- the last few weeks:

I may have hopped dove back into training a bit too quickly post Ironman Cairns. With my "schools out for summer" attitude, I sometimes put the cart before the horse and just go, go, go, thinking I'm making up for lost time. And historically, I've actually done really well with my big summer blocks (Ironman Wisconsin & Timberman 70.3 last year came at the end of my summer smash sessions). 

So, after school let one week post IM Cairns, I dug into a few big training weeks, with San Diego International Triathlon wedged in the middle. San Diego Int'l went pretty well and I walked home with a nice paycheck, 2nd in the pro field, and overall a quite positive day.
Happy Gilmore check! 
Rachel, Susanne, Me- top 3 at SDIT
Then I kept going and going and going.

Until this weekend at Muncie 70.3, when apparently my legs were not interested in going any more! All I can say is that I was very flat. (So was the course- which makes for some fast times if you are racing well) So, the day went significant sub average for me with a 10th place pro finish on that day. I had chats with two girls I respect post-race- April Gellatly and Kate Bevilaqua...both girls have been through the ebb and flow of triathlon racing and both gave me some words that encouraged me to not give up. The highs are high and the lows can be quite low. I guess if it was all glorious world travel and an influx of paychecks more people would do it ;).
Me & Miss Kate Bevilaqua who raced for a stunning 2nd place
Dad loves me even when I'm 10th....Thanks for all the support, Dad.
So, this week I am taking a true break, pressing the pause button, and enjoying some family time on the shores of Lake Michigan. I'm quite certain that once I rest and allow my body to absorb the last month of training, I will come back stronger. I just wasn't in a spot ready to race fresh last weekend. So for now, PAUSE. Which means I'm not going to toe the line at Racine 70.3 this weekend as planned. Sometimes you just need to look at the bigger picture, and I realize that if I raced again now, I'd just be repeating my mistakes. As someone (wiser than me) once said, "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
my sister's elves built my bike for me!

fire pit at our Lake Michigan house

South Haven, MI

Recovery ride. South Haven, MI


This week, my shovel is nowhere in sight. But, I'm armed with a good book, sunscreen, several bikinis, and a heart that believes that...


Thank you to all of my sponsors and supporters who keep me going through the ups and the downs...Looking forward to making my way back UP.



7 comments:

Beth said...

That last quote is one of my favorites. I've had it hanging on my wall for years! I have no doubt you will be back on your way up, up, up in no time!!

sunnyrunning.com said...

I think I'm going to start telling people to step away from the shovel.

Beth said...

Thanks for keepin it real. I hope you enjoy your time with your family!

Axel Kussmann said...

Beth, I just wanted to drop by and say that this is my favourite pro triathlete blog (one of the only ones I read). I just find your journey to be more relatable to me, the average joe age-grouper. Maybe it's your writing style, but I look forward to your race recaps, where I usually gloss over them for other bloggers. Keep up the good work!

GoBigGreen said...

Enjoy the family time!

Robin said...

I love that you keep it real!! Enjoy your mini summer break. Look forward to watching you tear up another race soon. Cheers.

Kim said...

A great blog and I am a true believer in keeping it real. I've always done it on my blog (some people have told me a little too much) and you know what, we can't be afraid to show our true selves. If we can't do that, then what is all this really about anyway. Rest up and absorb all that good training. You'll see the fruits of your labor when your body is ready!! Sorry to miss you this weekend but hope you have a great time with your fam this week!