Monday, December 16, 2013

Endless Summer: Australia



you know you're in #straya when....
What's that quote about "You don't realize what you have 'til it's gone"? Well, that's how I've felt about my dear old friend "WiFi" the past few weeks. Since I've been in Australia, I've only been connected at hotels, cafe's and occasionally personal hotspots....So most of my internet time has been spent checking in with all of my athletes, writing training plans, and of course the occasional twitter or instagram update (and some snapchats keeping in touch with friends in Cali). In some ways, it's been nice to unplug (ok, not really, who am I kidding! I feel like a WiFi junkie).

But, I have had the amazing opportunity to see the Australian countryside in New South Wales and Queensland and everything in Bali from the beaches to the jungle. Soon after arriving in Noosa, Australia, Luke & I commandeered his parents Motor Home and hit the road.
"Home"

We stopped in beautiful beach towns on the way down to Sydney, training along the way. Running and cycling somewhere new every day is pretty incredible and definitely never boring....one part training, one part sightseeeing- the best way to truly see a new place I think is on foot or two wheels.
It's also quite amazing that there is an accessible 50-meter pool in nearly every town round here in Australia. Towns with literally only a post office and a pub will inevitably have a 50-meter pool at the town rec center. So awesomely convenient.

two pools: 50 meter and an open water pool right next to it! 

On the way to Sydney, I also had the chance to meet up with my Australian athlete Kerensa and support her at Kingslcliff triathlon on the Gold Coast.


Kerensa & I pre Kingscliff tri pep talk 


Run to Byron Bay lighthouse....doesn't suck! 

Run from Bronte to Bondi in Sydney

Spin on the Cannondale Evo in Royal National Park, south of Sydney.



Black sand beachwalk in Bali





Once we hit Sydney, we stored away the van for a few days and made my first trip to Asia....A short flight later, we landed in Bali, Indonesia. We did it all in 4 days- markets, traditional Balinese ceremonies, beaches, monkey forests, and getting to know the locals....

our plunge pool in Ubud, Bali

View from our Bali villa

Monkey Forest! Ubud, Bali

Breakfast in Ubud, Bali


Ku De Ta, Bali

Back in Sydney, Luke had some visa things to attend to & we saw my cousin Abby who lives in Sydney now....
Luna Park, Sydney
Sydney Harbor Bridge & Opera House in the distance
 then we began the 1000k trip back up to Noosa! On the way home, we visited Luke's grandparents in Coffs Harbor, his best friend from childhood in Newcastle, and his sister Jackie in Brisbane.... We also made a stop for a little wine tour and of course some training along the way.

Hunter Valley wine region (Northwest of Sydney)....Shiraz!
Run in Cronulla on Ladybird road.
Yesterday, our tour de Motor Home concluded and we're back in Noosa until I fly home for Christmas. Hope everyone is enjoying this time of year as much as I am!

5 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Holy crap woman! You are jetting around and it looks so much fun. Merry Christmas, I Would send you a snowman if i thought it would make it there:) LOL

Kelly said...

Looks AMAZING there Beth. Good for you both for taking the time away and see such incredible places. See you in 2014!

Running Bums said...

This is simply epic! Very happy for you! Keep living the dream!

sabina moon said...

Excellent blog you’ve got here. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site.
wheel hire

sabina moon said...

Excellent blog you’ve got here. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site.
wheel hire