Friday, January 24, 2014

Memories.....

Oh.....back in "the day". A Facebook post by Emily Cocks (her first "amazing" aero position) got me thinking about the beginning of my triathlon days and searching through old photos from 2007 when I started running & 2008 when I started this triathlon business and I then shared my first "aero" position w/ the twitter/insta/FB-verse. I also dug up a couple other gems that reminded me of a) how things have changed, but b) that pure pure love and fun that every day held when it was all "firsts". It's fun to go back there, and now that i'm sidelined from the top of my racing game until this baby comes out in May, I'm kind of excited that I'll get to have some of those feelings again when I get back to it!


In 2007, I did 2 running races. My first two races ever, before I broke my hip. The picture below was from the Sue Krenn 15k in 2007- probably the furthest I had ever run. So, of course I needed some huge iPod armband and some headband-style white headphones.....

jammin' w my headphones. 
For my first triathlon (a sprint distance w. Tri Club San Diego), I bought my very first Zoot outfit..... Hey hot pink booty shorts! I'm pretty sure I didn't care about going fast, but I wanted to look good.... Not sure about "good", but definitely ridiculous with that amazing aero position and pink booty shorts... (PSA- this is what my arms looked like before I swam millions of yards in 5 years...Take from it what you will.. R.I.P. skinny arms! ) . Oh, and that bike- my first bike was an Orbea (Dad bought it for me as a present for obtaining my Masters. We shopped for it with me while I was on crutches. I had sufficiently scared my Dad by "becoming a runner" and breaking my hip within a couple months, so he was eager for me to diversify with 3 sports).... I did my first year of racing on that bike including my first half ironman... Once I got a TT bike, I was able to return this one to it's road bike integrity and kept it for 5 years.
wow. 


 This was one of my faves... I began racing with Breakaway Training (hence the orange top) but kept the pink booty shorts....I fondly remember that very first pair of Zoot racers- the original turquoise- I think this was the year Zoot started making shoes- & i've never raced a triathlon in anything else.
If you've been reading this blog for.....well, ever, you may remember that I thought I had won the Imperial Beach triathlon and was cruising through the finish chute when this girl twice my size owned me and showed me who was boss.....Ever since I've been  totally-paranoid finish-chute-turn-head-ten-times-to-see-if-anyone-is there-girl....



That's enough for now. There's plenty more embarrassment if you search the archives of this blog. Hope you've all had a good week......See you next week! 

5 comments:

kellydunleavy said...

Hah, you talking about that made me try to find the picture from my first triathlon. I was wearing one of those really unflattering two-piece tri suits that like hits right at your love handles and it was too small, so everything sort of got shoved down and over the sides of my shorts. It was not attractive. Shame I can't find that picture, must have been destroyed...

Christi said...

Nice look back! Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

Too funny, baby face and booty shorts!

Carrie - Worth Pinning said...

Good flashbacks...guess I've been reading for a while because I soooo remember that finish photo.

elizabeth said...

How did you break your hip?