Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Truckin' Along- Cardiff Kook 10k & the New Normal

"How are you feeling?!?!"
This is what everyone asks you when you are six months pregnant..... Seriously, everyone.. And it's a lovely question and people seem genuinely interested as to if you're feeling super tired or ache-y or hungry or moody etc...
The truth is, my "new normal" (i.e. pregnant normal) is a helluva lot easier than my previous normal
(wake at 5:00, train, work all day, train again, eat, re-pack bags, sleep, repeat).... As I conveniently took a leave of absence from my job as a school psychologist for this year not anticipating pregnancy, my "new normal" has been more like:
*Wake up when I wake up... (usually 6:30/7:00.... but no rush here)
*Work for a couple of hours (athlete training plans, emails, calls, etc)
*Go for a run or spin class/trainer session (60 min or less)
Luke running hill repeats at Torrey Pines while......
I ran parallel on the beach & trails below him
*Work or relax
*Noon masters swim (I think I'm finally keeping a little tan this winter!)
*Run errands (having time to actually go to the bank, grocery store, dry cleaner is such a novelty!)
*Strength session (Rehab United functional strength class OR pilates reformer) - only if I didn't run/spin in the morning
*Coffee w/ a friend
*Make dinner (I've been cooking a lot of new "winter-y" meals- healthy soups/ stews/ lasagna / meat loaf and such...I LOVE having time and energy to plan meals and make dinner, as well as a happy man who likes to eat anything I put in front of him. Seriously, I just make something healthy, top his with a lot of cheese, and haven't heard one complaint yet!)


So really, do I have room to complain?  For years, I would have killed for this schedule and now, I am doing my best to enjoy it and feel lucky every day that I can have this kind of flexibility. YES, it's great that I'm still working out (people keep telling me this "wow! you're still running", etc...) But honestly I have no excuses and it is so much easier now that it's on my schedule and my terms. Tired in the morning? bank some work hours in the a.m. & run in the afternoon! Sudden burst of energy after breakfast? Get out the door! So yeah, I do get tired, hungry, moody, ache-y etc....but when I compare this with the old daily grind and the tired/hungry/moody/ache-y you get from Ironman training while holding down a full-time job... well so far (i know,  knock on wood), this whole pregnancy shebang has been way easier (ask me again in 2 months maybe)....[And please, don't get me wrong and think I'm saying pregnancy should be "easy" for everyone- it's not a choice, I know many people who have been on bed rest, had complications, etc, and I know that is a WHOLE different ball game, which I admittedly know nothing about and am pretty sure can be WAY harder than Ironman training]....

Let see...what else....

I had fun running the Cardiff Kook 10k with a couple thousand of my local friends.....Still managed a 44 min time - about 6 min off my usual time- so I guess I'm about a minute per mile slower in general- but typically my training runs now hover close to 10 min per mile pace because you know what? What's the rush? I can assure you that w/ 25 extra lbs I'm still getting quite the workout no matter what pace. Time to enjoy the view.
Running in the 10k
my workouts have also been extra fun since Zoot send me some awesome training kits that FIT my pregnant bod (see you in the fall (I hope!), size Small!) 

I also visited my sister and her twin toddlers in Chicago (yeah...brrrrrrrrr!) She was so wonderful and is a total baby whisperer, guiding me through what, when, and how to do everything that I know nothing about.


toddler trouble! 
 It is also apparently triathlon awards season and we attended a couple fun industry events.... First, Luke won the Ron Smith Award at the Triathlon Business International conference in LA and then we attended the Endurance Live endurance sports awards in San Diego this past weekend.....

triathlon version of the red carpet....

close up.....

me & Luke... I think his genes will help make a pretty baby GIRL, don't you? 
 Other than that, the "nesting" we've been doing is mostly in the way of preparing our indoor training "Office" ... We want to make sure to have a fully functioning training office at home w/ a treadmill, good trainer setup,etc to make training at home easy for when the baby arrives. We're almost done and I'll post some pictures soon- I love it!  We'll get going on the baby nursery soon... baby steps here ;)


4 comments:

David Jewell said...

It was great to see you Saturday at Endurance Live. I did not ask you how you feel. Your Smile says it all.

sandiegofitnessdiva said...

Ok I realllly need to stop asking you how you feel every time I see you! ;) I will just tell you how I feel instead!

vabna islam said...

Excellent blog you’ve got here. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site.
Starting out in triathlons

Ramon Johnson said...

PCS Consultants, Inc. delivers innovative, leading-edge environmental, health and safety (EHS) services to multi-sector clients in California. From corporate-level environmental policy setting and enterprise-wide assessments, to facility-level EHS outsourcing initiatives and support, PCS' client-focused, cost-effective and reliable EHS solutions improve operational efficiency, reduce risk, liability and fines - adding true value to your business. Our EHS staff provide clients' top management with information to proactively manage EHS responsibilities and exposures while improving financial performance. Environmental and Health Safety