Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Baby Watch & The skinny (or fat) on my pregnancy weight gain

First...The update on Baby Watch is that there is no update... Nothing happening yet besides a whole lot of waiting and since the nesting/organizing is done, I've moved on to preparing for post-baby return to "work"- Today I brought my Cannondales into Nytro to be built and tuned- pretty exciting but not quite as exciting as an actual baby.

Ok, on to today's topic: the fit & fat of pregnancy  weight gain & "nutrition":

When you get pregnant and start googling everything related to pregnancy, one thing you read is that many women don't gain weight during the first trimester, or if they do, it's usually one to two pounds and many women even lose weight due to morning sickness and nausea... Then, at the other end of the spectrum there's.... well, ME! By the time I visited the lady/baby doctor, I had already gained close to 10 pounds in the first trimester.. I'm quite sure my body realized it was pregnant (well before I did) and decided it needed to hold on to every last calorie to feed the baby since my body was only used to the fuel up/ drain-to-empty cycle of 25+hrs training/week...
Of course I began to freak out, because at the rate I was gaining weight, I was on track for a 50-60lb weight gain, though I was sure I was not eating that much. I also continued to exercise (swim, bike, run, weights) about 1.5-2 hrs/day. Instead of fighting it though, I just decided to let nature run her course. I figured that "dieting" while pregnant was not a brilliant idea and I also knew that some of my nutritional changes and choices may have influenced the rapid weight gain.

While pregnant, I consciously chose to forego any of the typical athlete diets you see around- dairy free, gluten free, paleo, etc... I did a little reading, but also came to my own conclusions that (in my mind) that I wanted to feed my baby everything. If I didn't and say, went gluten free for pregnancy, would I be contributing to risks of gluten intolerance since my baby had never been exposed to it? I didn't dig too far into the research, I just trusted my gut and  decided to eat what I wanted, believing that in some way eating mindfully but what I craved would be what the baby needs. So I kept eating (normally, not excessively), kept exercising (more than the average bear), and kept gaining weight faster the speed of light for the first 24 weeks.... I think the only reason I wasn't scolded by my doctor was that I had already gained about 10lbs by the time I wandered into her office, so her definition of ground zero was a little inflated...
Where did all the weight go? Short answer? my thighs and butt and a middle section that looked fat instead of pregnant. I was wearing running shorts a size or 2 up because of my bigger legs before I ever had to consider maternity wear for the actual stomach part....I looked like I had a REALLY good offseason, but not very "pregnant" until about 23-24 weeks.

After that, things started to even out.... by 24 weeks I had gained exactly 30 lbs., clocking in at 147. (WHOA baby)... But now, here we are at my due date (tomorrow, actually) and since week 24 I've gained a whopping 2 pounds but haven't changed my diet or training... Grand total at 40 weeks pregnant: 32 pounds, smack in the middle of the recommended weight gain.

on a run this week... the final product. 

Lesson learned: YOUR PREGNANT BODY IS GOING TO DO WHAT IT WANTS AND GOOD LUCK STOPPING IT.
My plan is to update this chart w/ my (hopeful) return back to fighting weigh....should be another fun ride. 


My pregnancy diet has been a combination of 2 types of things:
1) Things I feed myself because they sound good and appealing
Most of which happen to be things that toddlers love. I'm convinced pregnancy "cravings" revert your tastebuds to that of a 2-year old. I would have been happy living on mac 'n cheese, toast and butter, bagels & cream cheese, fruit, spaghetti........Totally random foods that I typically rarely eat and have little nutritional value. I'd say these were about 30-40% of the things I ate, because honestly when you're pregnant- it's hard to find things that sound appealing!

2) Things I feed myself because they are nutritious for the baby and I want a healthy baby
My typical non-pregnant dinner is a MASSIVE salad with fish, chicken or steak. The darker the greens the better. The problem with (my) pregnancy is that these foods sometimes sound nasty..ok, usually sound nasty. Kale & spinach can be tolerated in small amounts, fish sounds gross as does meat in general... Things like beets?!?! how did I ever love beets?!?. Seriously, I feel like a toddler alien has taken over my stomach. So, instead of force-feeding myself a massive fish salad, I'll have a small piece of chicken and a small salad (often with iceberg...GASP! or romaine lettuce) but that's usually enough after a day of bagels & smoothies. Luckily, I compensate and get a lot of vitamins and fiber from fruit (berries, oranges, melons, etc are all still delicious)... But the most helpful thing has been SMOOTHIES... Nearly every day I make myself a green-based smoothie or buy one over at Nekter, a juice bar by me (try the Tropical Cooler + Hemp protein) ....
When I make my smoothies at home, I go with  a combo of almond milk, kale, spinach, berries, mango & MRM Veggie Elite Performance Protein. This way, I can ensure I'm supplementing my toddler diet with plenty of good stuff every day. (I also take a pre-natal multi-Vitamin and MRM Vitamin D3 to help promote my baby's skeletal growth.)

I'm really hoping my taste buds return to normal after this baby pops out... Oddly enough, my two biggest food addictions- coffee & dark chocolate have been near total aversions this whole pregnancy. I know it's wrong, but I'm secretly hoping the coffee cravings come back..



That's all I got for now...Will keep you posted on baby watch and hopefully soon the post-partum aftermath and I'm excited to track my (hopeful) return to training and racing! 

11 comments:

Dolly said...

I'm not an athlete of your caliber, not even close. But, I had a very similar 1st trimester to yours. I gained 8 pounds right away. The only foods that I wanted to eat were starchy, bland carbs, and salty cheese.

I thought the breastfeeding would melt the extra pounds right off with running but, the breastfeeding hunger is no joke.

I really liked following your pregnancy. I think you have a really healthy body image and it shows. :)

Teresa said...

You are awesome to write this! I've been meaning to write one of these post because so many triathletes "want to know" the ins and outs of the weight gain. I agree I went back to my childhood comfort foods as well. Gained 30lbs (but lost some in the first trimester). You were so fit and lean to begin with. So excited to meet your little one!!! All the best girl!

Tracey Locher said...

I've been stalking your blog like crazy to hear about the last month of the pregnancy. I was so curious to see what you could do with training and food. Also, can't wait to hear about this cute little one and, most of all, watch how you get back to race shape. As an Athena athlete (my youngest is 9 so I can't use that as an excuse) I'm hoping a few of the tricks you use will help me with my journey as well. At the end of the day, weight loss is weight loss, right? Happy Delivery!

Tyra said...

Thank you for posting this! I am 28 weeks pregnant now and I've gained a similar amount of weight as you. I think the high level of exercise has a lot to do with it, and I'm not anywhere near the same level as you. My obstetrician doesn't weigh me (he uses ultrasounds to track baby's growth instead), which I'm very grateful for!

I hope the next few days go well for you, I'll be keeping an eye out for news on the blog :)

thepumpkinsdiary said...

I agree with Teresa! This was a fun post to read, we're all different and the only thing that's important is the little one growing inside you're belly. :) GOOD LUCK and can't wait to see pics of your little lady!!

sakurastepbystep said...

this is great!! :) way to go, mama!!
i had the same experience...first appointment & I was up 12 lbs ,,, "um, is your scale broken or something?" i was freaking out!! i gained a lot that first 6 months! it's kind of nice to let your body do it's thang. good for you for listening carefully to your cravings and maintaining a balance!
:) thinking of you!

JC said...

Great post Beth! So true about your body doing what it wants. I found after the Midget arrived, I was still consuming the same amount of calories (if not more) because I was more active AND breastfeeding. The weight came off fairly quick for me (other than the boobs, which at 6 mths post baby I looked like I had implants). Everyone is different though. You look FABULOUS and that is going to be one incredible baby.

MissFancyPants said...

I was about 33 lbs too - same thing happened to me w reverting to eating like a toddler and not wanting coffee- it comes off quick especially if u nurse!! Hoping u have a speedy delivery and good recovery!

Unknown said...

Exact same thing happened here. Gained 25 pounds in first 24 weeks and only 7 thereafter. I lost almost everything in the first 3 weeks after the birth. 10 weeks later I have 4 pounds more than before but I am pretty sure I know where they are. Went from A/B cup to a D...

PLMR London said...

You have shared a great information about Public Affairs and Media Training.Which are very informative for us.Thanks

Deirdre said...

I had the same food cravings and issues with healthier options my whole pregnancy. The interesting thing for me was that my love for coffee didn't really return until I stopped nursing. So keep that in mind if you plan to breastfeed, some things just don't go back to normal until your body solely yours again. Good luck!