Friday, June 27, 2014

Hello, World!

It's been almost a month since our daughter Wynne was born and I'm finally coming up for air! So...... HI! Although the blog has fallen a bit by the wayside, I'm excited to pick it back up as I get back into training, travelling the world with our new family, and coaching a bunch of inspiring athletes. Besides, I need somewhere to chronicle my parental mishaps and athletic woes ;). But backing up a bit....

After 23 hours of labor, Wynne Victoria McKenzie was born on 5.29.14 at 3:03 a.m. weighing 6lbs 11 oz.
Wynne & Daddy at the hospital

1 week old! 
naps with Dad
Here's the truth: The first 10 days I was a hot mess. Between super-sleep deprivation, hormones, and being essentially chained to the house, I was on the edge. The edge of what, I'm not so sure, but it was some kind of edge, and I'm glad I'm off it!
so serious. 


After about 2 weeks, things settled in a bit. I caugh up on sleep as much as possible, got into a routine w/ Wynne and got out of the house a lot more. After 2 weeks I also started doing some light "pre-training" (which is exercise I just don't quite qualify as "training")...


3 weeks in, we took our first family road trip up the central coast of California to "practice" for our upcoming European travel in July.  I actually learned a lot about having a baby on the road, so it was a good test run.
lesson 1: bring more outfits than you think they could possible need. Wynne ended up dressed in a rag for the trip home... sorry baby! 
I also learned that in my own training, it's important not to mix up my ambitions with my capabilities... I wanted to participate in some of the weekend's training (Luke & Trevor & Courtney & Mitch were doing a big Ironman training weekend.) However, my desire to participate was overshadowed by my out-of-shapeness (that's a word, right?) and I had some rude awakenings (but also an amazing time and logged some hard but beneficial miles). I left a couple tears on a HUGE hill outside San Luis Obispo, but at least I'm back on the horse.
 suboptimal power-to-weight ratio made every pedal stroke sting. 
Summiting Trev's "postpartum loop of doom" 
Now, after nearly one month, I feel pretty adjusted to the new normal. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to being the on-call milk machine every two to three hours, but she's worth it. We've had grandparents in town nearly the whole time, so Luke and I have both been lucky to get out a bit more than some new parents w/ such amazing babysitters around. Things will change once we're really on our own.. But we'll adjust.

My body is feeling close to normal (although I've still got about 14 pounds to lose) and I'm enjoying every minute of training I can squeak in. I've come to realize that my return to triathlon racing probably won't be limited by my body's capabilities. Instead, my biggest limiter seems like it will be training time and scheduling. When Luke & I are on our own, it's important to prioritize his training right now, so I take the random hours here and there where they fit in with his (and Wynne's) schedule. And speaking of Wynne's schedule, she needs to be fed (by my boobies) every 2 to 3 hours during the day... And this is from the beginning of each feeding and she takes about 40 minutes to eat. This leaves me with a max of about 2 hrs between feedings... I'll need to get creative with some bike and run loops that swoop back by the house once I try to get in some longer workouts, I guess! I'm wondering how other breastfeeding moms have done it (or have they just not been crazy enough to train for Ironman during the first six months of their child's life)...I'm guessing the latter, but I'm always up for a challenge!

Speaking of.... Ironman Chattanooga in T minus 92 days ..... #anythingispossible... right?


13 comments:

Beth said...

Your family is beautiful, Beth! And I know you will make it all work, and work WELL! Cheering for you!

allison said...

Love the pics. Obviously not experienced, but some moms seem to go back to work within 4-6 weeks. Have you thought about trying to pump in between and store for someone else to help feed?

MissFancyPants said...

Awesome!!! U will make it work / that's why we r women we can do it all! Although not ironman I had to get back to work, travel and training for half-marathon - PUMP!! Get that freezer stocked - buy hand pump for while on your long rides - make sure u r keeping up w your milk production - a friend of mine was training for full and she would do trainer rides mixed w outside for her long rides / you can do this but don't burn yourself out!!! Your gonna be a great mom!

Michelle Simmons said...

As they grow a bit they don't need to be fed every 2-3 hours... soon it will be every 3-4 hours so you'll have a whole extra hour! ;) That said, when you do switch to 4 hours it's GOOD because she will be hungry so she'll eat really well which will satiate her for the next 4 hours.

I'm impressed you can sit on a bike seat so soon! :) Don't be too hard on yourself. Your fitness will all come back (Plus some!)... I've seen some really great performances out of moms at 6-12 months!

Katie Johnson said...

OK so when I was doing the Great Floridian there was a woman in the tent pumping in T2. So yes anything is possible!

bex said...

gosh, beth, in your "so serious" photo, she looks JUST LIKE YOU. I am so excited for you and Luke. Welcome to the awesome world of motherhood.

<3

-Bex

ajann0924 said...

Congrats and best of luck to you guys.

Yes, def post how training is going now and sitting on bike so soon. #hopefulfuturemom

Laurenefsu@yahoo.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BriGaal said...

Good advice from others about pumping. I was not training for anything as ambitious as IM but did several sprints 4 mos after...pumping in the car right before I started to make sure I was empty! One thing, though, be careful with how fast/hard you come back. I had heard that particularly breastfeeding moms are more prone to stress fractures. I luckily didn't experience that, but I did get muscle strains super easy at the beginning when I was trying to build back my run training. Once I stopped bf'ing that resolved itself (also, lost the last 5 lbs when I stopped bf'ing). AND sorry this is long, but bf for as long as your comfortable, some people love it, others hate it but there is SUCH a big push to breastfeed and sometimes it just doesn't work out, don't feel guilty about any of it and just do what's best for you and your baby.

Damie said...

mmm...you can do it! I think it depends entirely on your child and the situation. chill child= moving forward a bit faster. (hyper from day 1 like mine and maybe not so much). but, we will all get there! I don't believe it is as much "make it happen" as we would want as new moms- some stars do have to align a bit, but it definitely can be done, so go for it and see how it shakes out for you. Bfding is tough, but so, so awesome. my child is still 2-3 hours, but some kiddos extend the time quickly. Keep in touch with kerrie wlad- she is always great with support on breast feeding. and the 14 pounds? will seem to just stay there no matter what, and then one day they will just be completely gone, as if they disappeared in a day! best of luck!

Katie said...

Beautiful family and a great perspective on what's important! Cheering for you and hoping to share the start line with you at Chatanooga!

Alison said...

Found your blog looking for nursing/new moms/athletes. My daughter is one yo old now and it was very hard for me at first to get back into training. Mainly the sleep deprivation. I also was very uncomfortable running with the big boobs! Had to wear double sports bras. Your body does get used to things eventually. She'll eat less often, she'll sleep more at night. Definitely recommend pumping just before working out. Don't try to lose weight too quickly either if you plan on continuing to breastfeed. You need all the nutrition you can get!!

Jenna Seefried said...

Thank you so much for the blog updating us on what you are going through. I'm currently 4 months pregnant and trying to figure out what I want to do, or what is possible for me to do next year. So please keep the updates coming. I'm looking to try to do an Ironman about 7 months after I'm due very curious to see your journey in new motherhood and racing :)