Sunday, March 20, 2016

Bits and Pieces

I'm starting a new addition to my blog called "Bits and Pieces" that I hope revitalizes things a bit around here and helps me get out all those things I want to say, without committing to a novel or a chronological play-by-play of my last week/month/season (which you will still be subjected to if you visit this space). It's a bit of a rip on Erin's "currently" posts (thanks, Erin!), but as you'll see below, my creativity has been lacking lately.

"Bits and Pieces" is one of about a million Australian (so probably British) colloquialisms they seem to use all the time:
"Just heading down to the shops to get some bits and pieces"
"Spending the morning organizing all my bits and pieces"

Anyway, my Bits and Pieces will be snippets about my current events in (mostly) triathlon. What I'm thinking, loving, disliking, fearing, wanting, doing, sipping, and generally humming and hawing (another Australia, likely British one) about.


Bits and Pieces: March 2016


EATING // Training is so full-on that we've actually standardized our weekly meals to make things easy. After we pick up Wynne at little-people-school on Mondays, we shop as a family and I always buy enough for the following 5 easy dinners. This gets us through the week as we usually eat out one night and often go to Luke's parents for a night. Each meal takes me less than 30 minutes to make and is a good mix of protein carbs and healthy fats. I make some other meals too, but these are my 5 go-tos and a very typical week in our house.

MONDAY: Rotisserie chicken, big salad, roasted potatoes
TUESDAY: Taco salad tuesday: Grass fed lean ground beef w/ spinach/lettuce mix, tomatoes, salsa, fresh corn, guacamole, chips, a bit of cheese and sour cream.
WEDNESDAY: Salmon quinoa kale bowls similar to this recipe

THURSDAY: Steak (filet mignon for me, rib eye for Luke), a big ass spinach/arugula/avocado salad, and roasted sweet potatoes.
FRIDAY: Spaghetti bolognese made with grass fed lean ground beef or turkey. I mix it up with zucchini noodles made with my Vegetti. Simple salad on the side.






TRAINING // Training has been 110% focused since we returned from the U.S. in mid-February. I am currently 6 weeks out from Ironman Port Macquarie and we have most definitely been putting in the hard yards. I've been joking (sort-of) lately that I've lost my personality to Ironman training. I'm even struggling to put together a coherent/funny blog post, so instead I'm just listing out things. I'm also excited to head to Putrajaya 70.3 in Malaysia in just a little under 2 weeks! Though the full Ironman is my focus, I always like to test my fitness in halves and I'm excited to visit Malaysia again. Luke and I are both racing which is always a lot of fun.

Ironman training problems



photo by Tommy Zaferes




READING // I finished "Fates and Furies" by Lauren Groff about a month ago. It is one of the most-deep dive character portrayals I have read in a long while, following the two main characters from young-and-in-love through the course of their lives. I thought it was funny that at one point, Matilda goes out for a casual 80-mile ride... Until I later found out that Groff's sister is none other than Olympics-bound triathlete Sarah Groff. Um, hello, TIME magazine or TODAY show segment, is this not the most talented family of the year? Anyway. Loved the book.

PLANNING // The Island House Triathlons 2016! We are getting soooooo close to being able to tell you about this year's installment of the Island House Invitational. It will be bigger and better- details coming very soon.



SIPPING // In an effort to get race weight to come a little easier for Ironman Port Macquarie, I'vecut back on wine, so I don't have any big reds to brag about. However, in this same effort, I've transformed Luke's daily "smoothie" (quotation marks used as this is actually a milkshake considering the ingredients are milk, chocolate syrup, and ice cream). I bought  a new Ninja (with the money we're saving from forgoing a few bottles of wine per week) and gave his smoothie a makeover. It now includes lots of fruits and veggies and whey protein. He's impressed and I'm impressed with the Ninja. With 1500 watts, I find it just as good as my old Vitamix (so far) and you can even choose whether you want to make the whole pitcher or use just a single serving on-the-go cup. Mine also came with a food processor which I've been using for pestos and cacao/banana/avocado "mousse".



LAUNCHING // Ok, launching is a bit of a stretch of a word, but I did "launch" a new Facebook athlete page. I got to the point where I was no longer answering Friend requests on my personal page because I couldn't be hassled to research whether or not requesters were true or spam. Also, I feel that by having an athlete page, I can make my personal page a bit more family-oriented and private and keep the athletic goings-on to the athlete page. I will post links to my blogs, etc from the athlete-page only, so If you have a chance, please "like" it here



That's it for now... Will check back in before Putrajaya 70.3 with some updates on recent races and life!

3 comments:

JB said...

Yay for sticking to your weekly blog plan... gave me something to read on my easy trainer spin this morning... 'cause it's raining AGAIN in NorCal!

And I just started reading Fates & Furies this past weekend... intrigued!

Sethjk said...

Love the recipes. A tip from a long time vegetti user, we just trashed our old handheld vegetti and picked up the tabletop spiralizer (same company). It's about $25 at Bed Bath & Beyond (bring a coupon). We love it so much more. With the handheld spiralizer, we seemed to be losing half the vegetable each time and it was much more labor intensive AND harder to clean. With the tabletop one, you get about 90% of the zuchinni in a much shorter amount of time. Last night was CHicken & vegetti alfredo...yum!

daniel dąbek said...

I found an insane way to make a lot of valuable meals, and a lot of tips, how to train, check this out: Link